Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be the gear I need to go deer hunting excluding gun and scope oh and I am treestand hunting could you put in a good t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be the gear I need to go deer hunting excluding gun and scope oh and I am treestand hunting could you put in a good t

What would be the gear I need to go deer hunting excluding gun and scope oh and I am treestand hunting could you put in a good treestand recomondation

Im surprised how often this question gets asked on this site. It isnt hard just to kill any deer, with a gun that is. Emphasis on any. You dont need much beyond the basics (gun, bullets). A pair of boots will keep your feet warm if its cold, but if you have ever done any hunting before im sure you have boots. Warm cloths to keep from freezing. But honestly I would venture to say you dont even need camouflage, Ive killed dozens with in a big flappy orange vest. Deer cant see color very well, I know a guy who just hunts in a carhart jacket and jeans. I think all these hunting shows are making people think they need all this junk. At my local sporting goods store I saw one of those sitka jackets for $300 dollars. Its just a warm jacket with pixelated camo, are you kidding me. You dont need a backpack full of junk to kill a deer. Personally I think half the stuff out there thats supposed to help you kill a deer actually hinders you. In short you need warm cloths, gloves, boots, a knife (if you get one), and patience. and half that you dont even need if your hunting in the early season.

Comment

Ncarl, spot on.

Garor fan, if you want a tree stand, a small ladder stand is easy to climb. I have never used store bought stands. I have made a few, but i like to just sit on the ground.

Comment

Ncarl- well said

Comment

A tree stand helps if you know where the deer are moving. Yeah- just be prepared for the weather- a length of rope or nylon webbing for dragging an animal out. Sharp knife- flashlight, Wear your orange unless you aren't required to, but watch out- you never know whos hunting. good pair of rubber boots helps. I got my first deer w/ a borrowed lever action, while sitting on a stump shivering in my work clothes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad