Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m looking at getting an AR for coyote hunting (although I’ve heard they’re hard to come by nowadays). What’s a good setup (gu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m looking at getting an AR for coyote hunting (although I’ve heard they’re hard to come by nowadays). What’s a good setup (gu

I’m looking at getting an AR for coyote hunting (although I’ve heard they’re hard to come by nowadays). What’s a good setup (gun, scope, caliber, etc.)? What does everyone on here use for coyotes? What are some good brands and models to look at for the gun and scope? I would like to keep it under $1500 for the gun and around $300 for the scope. I’ve done some research online and I think $1500 seems pretty realistic, although I may be wrong. Thanks in advance for your input!

check out the rock river predator series

Comment

Smith & Wesson makes a nice AR in .223. The Natural Resource Police Officers here in WV just received them for patrol rifles and they invited an old retired Sgt. to their last firearms qualification. They let me run several rounds through it and they shoot like a dream and are extremely accurate. They aren't the cheapest on on the market but the quality is there.

Comment

I know next to nothing about ARs. My friend who occasionally hunts coyotes with me has a rock river arms, he likes it but hasn't shot it all that much. I personally prefer a bolt action. My setup is a Savage model 12 FV, 26 bull barrel chambered in 22-250. I shoot 55 grain Hornady V-Max loaded to factory specs. 3x9 Redfield Revolution Accu-Range scope. I also bring along a beat up old 12 gauge Remington 870, full choke and 3 inch #4s, for when they think they need to be right in your lap. $550 for the rifle, $200 for the scope and I bought the 870 off a rancher for $150. Either buy or make yourself a set of shooting sticks, makes a world of difference if the song dog decides to hang up out at the 250-400 yard mark.

Comment

I would stick to shooting them with the setup you have, you may want to save and upgrade your scope to a higher power scope with a 50MM bell to gather light better at dawn and dusk.

Comment

Good luck finding an AR right now. Many places are sold out...you may need to put one on back-order and wait a while.

Comment

I plan on sticking with my setup Sarge, just figured I would tell him about my setup, get his mind working a bit. The only time I have found that the AR trumps my setup is when 3 or 4 dogs come in on a set, and that particular problem has only happen to me twice.

Comment

Good luck finding the AR. I have an AR which my son or I carry when we hunt together. But my primary is my Savage M12 in 22-250 w/50gn Hornady Superperformence ammo. My Savage is camo and came with the scope which I would love to change out to the Nikon Preditor scope.

Comment

ive killed a significant amount of varmints with a bushmaster AR in .223. the gun smokes prairie dogs effectively out to 300 yards and i have carried it coyote hunting a few times. havent shot one with it but its a fine option with a good varmint barrel and high power leupold scope. but typically for coyotes i opt for a rem 700 in 22-250, get more accuracy at long range out of it.

i will attest to sarge here as well. i just got a smith & wesson m&p m4 and its a nice little AR. with iron sites and hornady superformance 53 grain i was shooting an inch at a 100 yards. put a trijicon on top of and and i imagine the groups would tighten up more.

Comment

I just returned from a few days of coyote hunting in S. Dak. My brothers and I got 8 coyotes and 4 foxes. My AR rig is a Bushmaster Varminter with a 24 inch heavy barrel with 1:9 twist. I shoot 50g V-Max over 25.5g of Benchmark at 3450 fps. I use a Millet 4-24x55 Tactical with mil-dot reticle but that scope is no longer the best you can buy for the money.

I would highly recommend the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50. Sheels in Sioux City has them for about $450 and it is WORTH it. This rifle is so accurate that you will be sniping dogs from 500 yards if you like. It is rare to use more than one shot but I typically use a 10 round mag just in case I miss one or a group shows up. I use the 25-06 for most coyotes because it gives me better range but the Bushy is deadly and by far my favorite for running varmints, especially those crooked running foxes. Those straight running coyotes don't really have a chance with it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad