Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earlier this season my dog was great, she jumped many rabbit and stayed close. The past few weeks i can't keep her close. She ge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earlier this season my dog was great, she jumped many rabbit and stayed close. The past few weeks i can't keep her close. She ge

Earlier this season my dog was great, she jumped many rabbit and stayed close. The past few weeks i can't keep her close. She gets carried away and takes off. Today I missed 3 rabbits because she jumped them too early. I can holler but she just ingnores me and goes farther out. Anybody know what i can do?

The longer you wait the worse the problem will get. Your dog didn't have the proper obedience skills in place BEFORE you started it in the field. So I suggest you stop hunting with it and start working on obedience before it's too late.

Get a rolled up newspaper, treats in the pocket, and whistle and head for the park or open space. Walk the dog on heel. Keep it there. Whack it with the newspaper if it can't stay back with you. When it is allowed to roam just a bit call it back with whistle and verbal commands. Reward with whistle. Keep it at heel for a while then repeat releasing it. Takes a lot of work. You must teach the dog to obey without the security of a leash. Dogs learn nothing useful about field obedience if they are kept on leash all the time. Good luck!

Comment

shock collar might fix it...my britanny is always a little high voltage first thing out of the truck. usually one shock in the morning and shes close and fine the rest of the day.

Comment

That should read "Reward with treats." Sorry.

Comment

Work her/him off a 20' Check-Cord to keep him/her in close I'm not a BIG fan of shock collars....JMO.

Comment

OH, i guess discipline has lacked in the past year. I used to be able to point to a bush and she would work it inside out. Thing that baffles me is around the house she listens to everything i tell her to do, but she is stubborn as heck in the field. I'll try what you suggested.

Comment

hey Scratch.... Electronic Dod Training Collar. Set it on 5 and go from there.But do not let the dog know you are pushing the button. if you do the gig is up and the collor will not work as it is supposed to. The dog will resent you and disobey all together or stop working.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad