Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far away should i put my goose blocks from my ducks

How far away should i put my goose blocks from my ducks

How many goose blocks do you have? Are you targeting ducks?

Comment

We are mainly going for ducks we have 8 goose blocks. We have been seing a few geese these laast few weekends. We usually take goose blcks but its such a far walk and only two of us we haven't been. We usually put them about 15 yards away from our ducks

Comment

Your not going to pull very many geese in with only 8 floaters ( I assume they are floaters) unless the geese have been using that area and are already naturally coming there. If your looking to lighten your load and dont expect to pull any geese in I would take 4 blocks and set them in a family group right outside your duck spread. Goose decoys are super visible for ducks and can help get their attention from a long ways away. I would put all 8 out in family groups just on the outside edge of your duck spread but like I said if thats to much to carry go with just the 4 in one family group.

Comment

Well we have been seeing flights of 3 so i planned on taking all of them. The biggest problem will be the people that do the sky busting.

Comment

Groups of three are possible to pull in with a minimal decoys spread. It sounds like you are hunting private ground so I would only use your most realistic decoys. That means maybe leave the duck blocks at home. You might want to invest in a few more floaters. Id go with a spread of around 18 floating canadians and maybe some full bodies around the bank in your situation. That is if you want to kill geese.

Comment

We have a bunch of styrofoam geese my grandpa made but we mainly are going for ducks this weekend. Geese are just a bonus. We are hunting a river off the wdu

Comment

Im just assuming the goose decoys look pretty shabby. Might not bother the ducks but rest assured that pressured geese will see every imperfection. I would just focus on the ducks and not expect any geese. Geese are wary birds, especially late season pressured birds, and a lot of times they will fly right over your spread without even hitting the breaks on their way to a field they know where the are safe. A lot of times when I go goose hunting I get bonus ducks but rarely am I duck hunting and get a bonus geese. Personally I think that pressured geese are among the hardest animals to kill.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad