Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best turkey loads you have used? and Shot size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best turkey loads you have used? and Shot size?

what is the best turkey loads you have used? and Shot size?

The Remington Duplex load work good - 4's and 6's.

Comment

Remington nitro turkey in #5.

Comment

I used Remington 4's. The head shot placement is more important. Sight your gun in, and check your pellet grouping. Good Luck!

Comment

3 1/2" #4's coming out of a ten mag...really slams them, last one i killed was around 20 yards, maybe a bit closer, damn near ripped his head off.

Comment

Winchester 40GrRN .22Magnum/Scoped Marlin, Mod 925 Bolt Rifle...good 100Yd Reach.

Comment

You really opened up a can of worms with this one!

Fall
              .22 Hornet - Sierra 45 gr SP w/ 9.75 grs Herco 2400 - not legal in spring

Spring
              Winchester 2.75", 3.25dr eq, no 7.5 shot

Target #1 is where the feathers stop and wattles start on the neck.
              Target #2 is the head.

Pattern density kills, not shot size!

Comment

I shoot Federal Supreme Heavyweight #6. It patterns great in my gun and can reach on out to make 50 yard shots a dead certainty. What FirstBubba said about pattern density is absolutely true, and the shot have to retain enough velocity and energy to do the job and that's why I use high density shot. Those dang shells cost six to seven bucks each in 3.5" magnum, but when I think of all the time and effort that goes into turkey hunting, they're worth it. I just really hate to miss one at that price, though.

Comment

country road

I still use lead shot for turkeys. There is a WMA nearby that has a good turkey population. I never hunted it because I always thought it was "non-toxic" shot only. Imagine my surprise when I talked to a biologist on the area who informed me that lead shot was legal in the area he suggested for turkey hunting!

Comment

If I use my shotgun ,12 ga. Remington Hevi-Shot #6's.
                    If I use my rifle, .22 Hornet Win. 45 grain HP

Comment

I use 3" 1 1/4oz #6 Hevishot in 20ga.
                      I have only shot two but both went down like the spuds at 28 & 31yds.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad