Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys believe in the moon phase hunting theory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys believe in the moon phase hunting theory?

Do you guys believe in the moon phase hunting theory?

Yes. But just because the almanac says a day may not be that good doesn't keep me at home. The old "fishing" work pretty well too. A good fishing day is a good hunting day.

Comment

I don't hunt by it, but, I do keep track of it. There seems to be some relationship between moon phase and deer activity, but I guess it could be a coincidence. I looked back at the past 2 years and realizes that the times I saw most deer activity, were right around full/new moon phase. I say, if it is false then there would not necessarily be good or bad days to hunt. So, if you hunt around full/new moon it can't be worse than any other day.

Comment

But, if it is true, then you are already in the woods.

Comment

I need to start keeping a field journal. There are those days out there that you can feel it, feel its going to be active and it is. I'm curious to compare those days to moon, weather, barometric pressure, etc.

Comment

Yes. A doe's reproductive cycle is influenced by the different phases of the moon, and peaks in the three or four days surrounding the second full moon after the autumnal equinox.
            This is said to be a predictor of buck activity, and tells you when to hunt and when not to hunt.
            But like most other hunters I know, I hunt whenever I get the chance, without regard to the phases of the moon.

Comment

Yes, the deer stir more at night during a full moon and limit daytime activity.

Comment

Yes, the deer stir more at night during a full moon and limit daytime activity.

Comment

Like 99explorer said, I hunt when I get the chance. I may check the moon phase, but it doesn't really influence when, or how long I hunt.

Comment

When I traveled to Alabama my buddy and I tried not to go when there was a full moon because like 007 said the deer fed at night and laid up in the daytime. When there was a full moon we didn't see very many deer out and stirring during the daylight hours matter of fact there were times when we didn't see any at all during the day.

Comment

1ojolsen

I started keeping a "journal" in '04. I have no idea how old you are nor does it matter, but I challenge you to keep a "written" record of your outdoor activities.
                      I don't necessarily note moon phase or temps, but I do note times deer are sighted and general weather conditions. I took my journal with me on my last Kodiak fishing trip. The last thing I did each night was record the days events. Some as quickly as possible after the event. Even now I can go back and read stories of three "friends" who have since gone on.
                      Record those special moments.
                      BTW! I lost a butt load when a computer "crashed"! Thankfully, I had printed most but the most recent events! Now I keep a handwritten journal....and record the odd occurrences of note of daily life!

Comment

I definitely fish by the moon but since hunting season is set I pay less attention. Anectdotally my experiences reflect those of others in that deer seem to move less during the day around the full moon. I do try to vary my hunting hours during archery season but a lot of the time it is hunt when you can.

Comment

I pay more attention to the weather than the moon phase.
                          The falling barometer seems the best time for me - hunting and fishing.

Comment

No. Mostly because everything based around moon theory is just that...theory. Scientific studies lack the sample sizes over a large enough geographic area from deer of all genders and ages to come to any conclusive results, but most moon phase studies show that moon phase doesn't affect deer movements nearly as much as weather.

Comment

When ever there a full moon you should be in your tree stand from ten in the morning until the end of your hunting day. Many nice bucks have come to my bait pile at noontime to eat during a full moon. My trail cameras have given me scientific data to prove it with photos that I posted on this website.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad