Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i live in northwest new jersey. we have 4 acres of mostly wetlands, and then its a public hunting land. on my property i can not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i live in northwest new jersey. we have 4 acres of mostly wetlands, and then its a public hunting land. on my property i can not

i live in northwest new jersey. we have 4 acres of mostly wetlands, and then its a public hunting land. on my property i can not find any food sources. we have no fields or farms near us. do you have any tips on finding a food source. the deer dont seem to have a route to follow everyday either. there is a river but its far back, its more of a stream.

I hunt over ag crops (winter wheat pasture). If it weren't for that, I'd never see deer. My hunting spots have no bedding cover, they're not travel routes nor natural food sources. That means I have to pull deer "to" me.
    There are four alternatives!
    1. Bait (corn feeder) - IF it's legal!
    2. Food plot, and 4 acres could work. Check local and NJ regs. Could be considered baiting by some agencies!
    3. Never see deer.
    4. Hunt somewhere else.

Comment

yeah but we do see deer, but mostly does. espically when we put corn out. we have one big 10 pointer but hes like a ghost, and is hard to find.

Comment

From what you wrote I would probably look for a stream crossing and set up there.

Comment

aliright sounds like a good idea thanks guys

Comment

If you can hunt the public land, that's probably your best shot.
            Personally, I won't deal with the ID-10-T's you find wandering "public' land.

Comment

Bubba, I hunt public land in NJ and i take offense to that! Not everyone can afford a lease or land of their own. but you are right, there are a lot of idiots.

Comment

cris8878, I think I would try to create a small food plot on your property if you state allows it. You said you have a Buck that come to corn, only put out a small amount of corn early in the A.M train him to come to the food in daylight, sit in your blind and wait, it will work. The food plot could be white clover,chickory and a small amount of sugar beets. the deer will come.

Comment

steve182

I've never been to NJ, much less hunted public land there! I've got enough 10-T's down here to deal with! LOL!

Comment

Northwest New Jersey is an awesome area for deer and bear. Hunderdon, Warren and Sussex Counties have tons of state and federal lands where you can hunt for free. If an area is a bust, move on and find a better location, with plenty of deer and bear sign. Good Luck

Comment

JMO~ Put you some Tree feeder filled them with corn, they are sold at Bas-Pro Shops,Gander Mt.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad