Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What aer the advantages/disadvantages of using rifles over shotguns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What aer the advantages/disadvantages of using rifles over shotguns?

What aer the advantages/disadvantages of using rifles over shotguns?

whatcha talkin bout pascal?? the advantages and disadvantages? for what game? obviously for geese and pheasant and etc, a shotgun is superior over the rifle for the reason that it's not gonna tear your goose in half like a rifle would. shotguns for deer hunting are an advantage to have because you can shoot slugs instead of buying a rifle. a rifle is a much better choice to have for deer hunting in my opinion, because of increased accuracy, longer range, and in my opinion it's more traditional.

Comment

Same as Reid, what applications are you talking about using them in. Rifles and shotguns are totally different in how they perform and what their perspective jobs are. Tell us what you want to hunt and we can help you out with a little more info.

Comment

Well...I don't know much about hunting. I do know that I don't want to hunt rabbits, squirrels, etc, or elk, moose, etc. What is a medium between them? I also don't want to spend a lot of money on ammo. Which is cheaper, shotshells or bullets?

Comment

you don't want to hunt rabbits, squirrels elk moose and etc? well friend, there's not much else to hunt! actually there is. geese, duck, pheasant, turkey, deer, etc. shotgun ammo is cheaper because plastic is cheaper than brass. if you were looking into only buying ONE gun. from the information i've recieved in your most recent post, i would buy a Remington 870, or a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 for those guns are capable of accuracy in waterfowl, turkey, and shooting deer with slugs. but that's only if you would buy ONE gun. if you were to buy 2, a rifle and shotgun. i would take one of the earlier shotguns i stated in a 12 gauge, and maybe a Remington 700..Ruger M77..Tikka Models...270 caliber, 30-06, 25-06, 308. do some studying on those calibers and find out what you want.

Comment

Rifles, you can shoot larger game at further distances. Shot guns are good for shorter distances a game that flys or has a small head such as the turkey.

Comment

Advantages: longer shots, more accurate, less kick
              Disadvantages: cant shoot any birds or small game unless you use a 22 or a 17.

Comment

I would go with a rifle if you want to hunt all those things. But, you are going to need two different calibers if you want to hunt the variety you stated. But you could also get a small .410 gauge for the small game and a rifle for the bigger game. It is all up to you, but you are going to be spending money on ammo regardless with all the lack of ammo.

Comment

A shotgun is the only way to go for birds and rabbits. A .22 is a great rifle to start on... you can shoot it cheap and learn to hunt with it. For hunting animals the size of deer and preditors, a centerfire rifle is best because of accuracy at long range. Although you can shoot slugs in a shotgun, a rifle is much more accurate and can be used at much longer range. Check your state and local regulations though... many states don't allow rifles for deer hunting.

Comment

for shotgun you get faster shots and less distance with rifles you get slower shots, more accurate and more firepower.

Comment

pascal-
                      Everyone has covered just about everything I could suggest to you; decide what game you plan to take, shotgun for small game to include rabbits and game birds. Shotguns can take out BIG GAME animals but are limited in long range effectiveness compared to Rifles.
                      Shotguns, on average, are cheaper to shoot then rifles.
                      The only thing I would recommend is looking into a used gun to not make too much of an investment in your new found interest.

Comment

Rifles shoot farther and are probably faster and more accurate.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad