Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At How far do you think a 17hmr would be effective on a squirrel or crow. that is sitting on the ground.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    My colleague, Dan W., was popping ground squirrels with praiseworthy consistency using his Savage bolt action .17 HMR at just over 100 yards...the furthest the terrain permitted on that pasture.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I killed over 300 pararie dogs with mine on my trip to Montana two summers ago. Some of them I shot between 250 and 300 yards. I would hold 2 feet+ over them and sometimes in the wind I would have to hold 2 feet+ left or right. I would have to fire 8 or 10 shots to "walk" the bullet to the pararie dog. It was alot of fun. Realistic range for 1 shot kills I would say is around 150 yards.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    Probably as far away as you can hit one but 200yds is a good estimate.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    The new .17super mag is suppose to better the .17hmr by a lot. Less drop and less affected by cross wind. Rifles should be coming out soon for it. Price of ammo is reasonable, about $15 /50.
    Sighted at 100yd, the drop is 4.2" at 200yds.

Leave a comment:

• Logan88
    replied
    I shot a red squirrel with mune at 218 yds according to the nikon range finder and have shot pigeons out to 170 and then watched it fly a short distance before falling. The rapid expansion experienced at close range is not noticed nearly as much when you get out that far.

Leave a comment:

• tuna0410
    replied
    200 yards would IMHO be the max range for the .17hmr as long as there is no wind. But I would say the practical range is around 150 just to be on the safe side. Also if there is any wind at all I would just pickup the 22lr. Best thing to do is put it on paper and see what your gun is able of doing. I have seen some pretty amazing shots made with one and some not to amazing ones... A lot of it depends on the ammo used.

Leave a comment:

• At How far do you think a 17hmr would be effective on a squirrel or crow. that is sitting on the ground.

At How far do you think a 17hmr would be effective on a squirrel or crow. that is sitting on the ground.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad