Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you hunt deer without a tree stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you hunt deer without a tree stand?

How do you hunt deer without a tree stand?

We put on drives in the general firearms season, or if solo a ground blind can work well in the right circumstances.

Comment

You can spend a hundred dollars or so on a pop up if you wish ....or, do what I used to do.
      I'd find a tree or a couple of saplings or whatever near a likely spot. Then begin gathering dead limbs, logs or whatever else and put together a "hide"! I've killed several deer in that manner.

Comment

Still Hunt. If you know where the deer are you can hunt them. You may scare them first but when you know where they are for sure approach slowly, And WATCH YOUR STEP..
        Trust me.

Comment

I only use treestands to bowhunt. Any time i have a gun in my hands i want to be on the ground, mobile if neccesary. Sit still downwind of a trail or foodsource. Try to find natural cover like a deadfall or a tangle of briars to break up your outline.

Comment

This may upset some of you and I hope you don't get to angry at me, but is setting in a tree all day long waiting for a deer to walk by really hunting. I've been hunting for almost 50 years and have never used one and have taken plenty of animals. I know in some places you have to use them and that's fine with me, but I think we as hunters have lost the art of hunting because of tree stands.

Comment

I started hunting before i was old enough to get a license and used to stalk the deer. Find some tracks and follow them until you found the deer. I think that is one reason the winchester 94 in 30-30 gained such a good reputation - we were usually only 20yds from the deer. Could not miss and it dropped them in their tracks. Tree stand is more like taking a post rather than making a hunt.

Comment

From a blind.

Comment

Like a few others have said, I use natural cover. You need to break up your outline, so sit with your back to a tree, or bushes, or what ever is available. Don't move around too much, and if picked a spot near food, water, or cover you might get a shot.

Comment

I carry a pair of brush clippers and a lawn chair (sometimes I just sit on the ground). When I get where I am going I try to setup where the deer coming down the trail will almost walk past me. If there is an over grown fence that the deer are crossing from the north to the south, I would setup so that the deer would be walking away from me after they crossed the fence (I would face west looking down the fence row, the way I use my chair as a shooting rest, When they have walked past the fence 15 or 20 yards I shoot). This pretty much ensures a broadside shot if you are ready. Down side is they probably won't be stopping, unless you make noise. Walking shots aren't hard though. I also setup so if I have to, I can getup and move quietly. In other words I make my own camo with brush that I cut from the area, and not in a natural thicket that I can't get out of quietly.

Comment

Good camo, play the wind and don't stink. I hunt about 50% on the ground, took 3 deer that way this year, two with bow one with rifle. Its totally doable. I wear a semi ghillie suit, not full out but with plenty of break up for my outline.gloves and face mask, it like being invisible. Birds land on my arrows, squirrels and mice have sat on my feet. If your bow hunting make sure to practice from your knees and sitting on a chair. A light weight chair with a strap is must.

Comment

Glass and stalk in open terrain, still hunt, but most effectively use the terrain and sit watching travel corridors with a good field of fire. I will sit in a ladderstand or tripod stand on some days.

Comment

If you hunt in a place with lots of pressure, scout the places where its hard or impossible to put tree stands. Look for heavy scrub and use a pop up or terrain feature. Stalking works but the learning curve is steep.

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Most of everyone here that dosen't have a permanent stand uses a pop-up blind.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad