Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To hunt deer from a tree stand do you need to have head to toe camo, and what calls would you recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To hunt deer from a tree stand do you need to have head to toe camo, and what calls would you recommend?

To hunt deer from a tree stand do you need to have head to toe camo, and what calls would you recommend?

Need?
    No!
    Will it help?
    Sure won't hurt anything!
    Dress in muted, natural tones. Browns, greens, tans, etc.
    A grunt tube is all I ever carry and I seldom use it.
    Just never had much luck with calls.

Comment

Have had plenty of deer come within shotgun range, while dressed in brown carhartt, blaze orange hat. Never need a call, they seem to just come to me. I'm not big on deer hunting, not a big challange so i gave it up. Ducks and pheasent are my favorite.

Comment

Just avoid wearing blue...deer see into the blue spectrum of light very well, especially in low light situations. A grunt call and rattling equipment are generally standard equipment, but you really don't need either if you put yourself in a good travel corridor.

Comment

as long as you wear dark colors your fine. but make sure there is lots of stuff behind you to break up your outline. i always have a rattle bag with me

Comment

you will find me in head to toe realtree HD hardwoods when im sitting in my treestand. does it help get deer closer? i think so. only calls i carry are rattling antlers and a grunt tube, but anymore i find myself just with a grunt tube around my neck and i seldom use it barring a few certain situations.

Comment

I camouflage around my treestand with artificial christmas trees and reefs, that people throw out in their trash. They stay green all year round. I also camo myself from head to toe. You never know whatcould happen on your way to your treestand., I had a nice buck run up to me while I was walking into my stand. The buck got me totally off guard, and my arrows were still inside my bow quiver. The buck never saw me thanks to the camo clothing and boots.

Comment

I make sure that my stand has plenty of natural cover around it (other trees with leaves, vines, thick brush, etc). I also wear camo up until my face. I hate wearing a face mask all day unless I'm bow hunting. If it's cold I do enjoy a fleece face mask! Is camo necessary? No, but I believe it helps. I usually wear two different types of camo too like a Realtree shirt and Mossy Oak pants just to randomize things!

Comment

The only reason I use camo is because it is made to keep you warm with minimal layers. My first year of hunting I didn't use camo because I didn't have any. I got really cold every time I went out. So I bought some coveralls that were camo and stayed warm. I carry a grunt call but don't use it much.

Comment

Hi...

Wearing cammo is great...IF you own stock in the companies that make and sell them...!!

Otherwise...very little difference. Besides, deer can distinguish green and yellow colors (Wickipedia). Not moving (the hard part) is the best way to keep deer from noticing you. If your face blends in with your clothing, so much the better.

Also, blaze orange 'cammo' cannot be distinguished by deer...but can be seen by hunters...who, hopefully...won't mistake you for a deer...!!

Comment

Camo is defined by your hunting position and surroundings, there is no correct answer. Being unnoticed and not calling attention to yourself is the key element. As for calls: I carry 2
                      calls all the time. first is Primos Lil'Shawty hands free buck & doe call. easy to adjust and change different buck and doe calls depending what
                      stage of the season you're hunting. I also carry Flextone buck commander. Both are versatile and you can get away with carrying either one.
                      Personally, I prefer the Primos Lil'Shawty. it is hands free which is crucial during archery, I called huge 9 point buck to 21 yards during
                      Pennsylvania archery on first day of ringneck . Important issue with using calls is to practice and research what type of call would be
                      appropriate at the time.

Comment

I wear head to toe camo when bowhunting, but i'm not loyal to any brand or print. I do avoid wearing bluejeans anytime i hunt because deer see blue more readily than other colors as bioguy mentioned. I always bring a grunt tube but if i forget it is not the end of the world.

Comment

Learn to grunt with your mouth if possible. When a buck is in range and you have your gun or bow ready you won't be able to grab your grunt tube. I grunt with my mouth and I've had bucks come charging at me.

Comment

I think plenty of deer have been killed without camp. That said, I think that if I knew that the difference of getting a deer and not getting a deer was camp, I would choose to make the extra investment and wear camp. A good grunt call is priceless in the deer stand. There are several hands free models that attach to your hunting coat that I know of.

Comment

The most important thing about a tree stand is where you put it...scout the area good and the deer will do the rest!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Voter Fraud
                                by rock rat
                                Are you doubting the CIA/China/Russia/Iran/Hugo Chavez connection? Maybe they've hacked your account, sending everyone to FEMA camps.

On...
                                Today, 09:21 AM
                              • Voter Fraud
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                                11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                              • Reply to Voter Fraud
                                by Danbo
                                I don't believe the rangers raided any servers in Germany. Don't fall for fake news....
                                Today, 07:35 AM
                              • Reply to Here is a little more food for thought.
                                by Danbo
                                Bow hunter - You forgot that they just don't hate Trump they hate us. Hell some of them have called for Trump supporters to be sent to re-education camps!...
                                Today, 07:32 AM
                              • Here is a little more food for thought.
                                by crm3006
                                Wishful thinking? Vast right wing conspiracy? Nutty as a fruitcake, or some hard solid truth that the lamestream media is afraid to report? Follow the...
                                Yesterday, 02:12 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X