Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the minimal amount of equipment needed for deer hunting? Can you name the things that you need to have a good chance of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the minimal amount of equipment needed for deer hunting? Can you name the things that you need to have a good chance of

What is the minimal amount of equipment needed for deer hunting? Can you name the things that you need to have a good chance of getting one ( like calls etc.)

A good weapon and a good knife is the absolute minimum.

Other recommended items (in no particular order):

Another good knife
    Boots
    Binoculars
    Knife sharpener
    Flashlight
    1st Aid Kit
    Trail Markers / Flagging
    Map and Compass
    Matches or lighter
    Appropriate foul weather gear
    Camera

I'm sure others will have other items to add.

Comment

"...the minimal amount of equipment..."

I have a stand about a quarter mile from the house. Since I'm so close to home, I dress appropriately, grab a rifle and go.

No equipment you can carry can assure you of a deer, only scouting and a healthy deer population can do that. The "projectile delivery device" is the single most important and THE least equipment needed for success.

Comment

Having knowledge of the land you will be hunting on will give you the best chance of killing a deer, but on top of what fezzant already said:
        -Tag
        -A good pair of shoes(waterproof if needed).
        -Something to write with(can mark where certain things are on a map, draw to give you something to do, etc.)
        -Food/water if you will be out for a long time.

Comment

Doesn't take much just to kill any deer. Gun, bullets, knife and most importantly patience.

Comment

Also, appropriate orange clothing in areas where it is required.

Comment

Weapon,ammo, patience, knife, drag rope and luck. Knowledge and skill help but I will take luck.

Comment

My bow and a steady wind.

Comment

Do you need head to toe camo and a deer stand . What kind of calls do you need.

Comment

Bare minimum...

Warm clothes
                    A flashlight
                    Toilet paper
                    Knife
                    Weapon

There are no miracle products. The "chances of getting one" go up the more time you spend in the woods. Put in your time and you'll be rewarded.

Comment

You don't need head to toe camo. In fact, you don't need camo at all. For generations people hunted in a pair of jeans or wool pants and a flannel jacket. It can help in some situations, but isn't required. You don't need calls... I have never used one. If you know how to use one, a call can help, but you have to know when and where to use it or you will scare off more deer than you bring in.

You don't need a stand either. Again, in some situations they are useful, but I have never used them. A good understanding of your quarry and its habits will help more than any piece of equipment.

Comment

Your tag and some legal means of killing the deer. Anything beyond that just makes the experience more enjoyable.

Comment

One thing you need to have a good chance is to spend some time scouting prospective areas you may hunt. No sense in sitting in the woods if there are no or little signs of deer use.
                          Other than knowing where you are going to improve your chances you need a rifle, a few bullets and a knife.

Comment

At the very least you need a license, a weapon and some clothes and boots. I always carry a compass and a grunt tube.

Comment

only one guy here has mentioned rope....really helped me on a lot of long drags

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad