Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best time for early seasons bucks

what is the best time for early seasons bucks

Early season bucks are a blessing. They are very predictable and not pressured. Preseason scouting is the key. First, find your buck. I spend every night a month prior to the season driving around my hunting property looking for the one I want. Make note of the time and location you find your buck. Be at that spot at that time every night for at least 7 days. If you see him 3 times in seven days chances are good you can get him on your wall. The deer should follow this pattern religously. He feels comfortable with it. Find his route, play the wind, set your stand. Then set up a practice set similar to your stand in the woods. Same height of the stand in the woods with the target the same distance you expect to see the buck. Practice, practice and practice. The best time for this buck will be opening day. If you are allowed you might want to sweeten the pot with a pile of apples or corn (if allowed)

Good luck with your hunting.

Comment

I forgot. Do not hunt the mornings early season. Entering the woods prior to light is a good way to knock your deer out of pattern or worse yet out of the area.

Comment

buckhunter said it pretty well. Scout before you hunt and always keep an eye out for rubs and trails. If you have some money for a trail camera I recommend buying a Stealth. They are inexpensive and good quality.

Comment

Yes, I agree with what buckhunter wrote.

In MI, sometimes it can prove to be disheartening as I learned this year. I spent all of Sept. scouting the section I hunt and found 2 shooter bucks. I was seeing the one consistently within 50 yds of where I hunt a travel route. The last week before the opener I hadn't spotted him feeding in the area, but I hunted the area for the first couple of weeks, seeing several deer but not the one I wanted.

A couple weeks later I got my answer. They offer a youth hunt in MI the weekend before the bow opener, you guessed it, the neighbors boy shot it. Which just led me to my next post topic.

Early season scouting is a must. I like to get them before they change their feeding patterns and travel patterns.

Comment

i get there midday and hunt until dusk. dusk is the best time to hunt usually

Comment

wear lots of camo and get a nice quiet climbing treestand if u dont have other stands already up. Scent elimination is a great precaution as well. Cant be too careful.

Comment

Well, get out there in the srping, and hunt as early as you can! There's no bad time for early season bucks.

Comment

No bad times, even mornings are good. i tend not to hunt fields inthe mornings, just the evenings. In mornings I try to catch them returning to their bedding area.

Comment

Early season mornings can be good depending on where you hunt - in the woods or on a field edge. I think that anytime out in the woods is the best time. But if you are able to scout ahead of time and pattern the deer then you can find out for yourself when and where are the best times and places to hunt the early season.

Comment

Do not hunt the mornings early season!

Comment

Do not hunt the mornings early season!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                          by Ontario Honker Hunter
                          I see an interesting piece up on CBC this morning that says Kamala would be a perfect fit for the Conservative party if she was running for office up...
                          Today, 11:19 AM
                        • 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                          Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                        • Reply to More Bad News....
                          by bowhunter75richard
                          WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                          Today, 11:12 AM
                        • More Bad News....
                          by WA Mtnhunter
                          My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                          07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                        • Reply to 16 Years
                          by rock rat
                          Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                          Today, 10:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X