Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would like to get into archey hunting, moneys tight so i need the basics. I already have a bow. what are some other things i n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Great answer buckhunter and A + 1 for you gentlemen!!!

Leave a comment:

• huskerguy
    replied
    Couldn't agree with you more buckhunter.

Leave a comment:

• huskerguy
    replied
    As long as you got a bow and arrows thats about all you need. Just get some camo that fits the area you hunt and use common sense. If you are determined and work the wind you'll get close enough for a shot. I've also boiled some evergreens and put the water in a spray bottle to help cover the scent a bit. The rest it up to you. I like to stalk the deer or find a nice place that covers me up near a trail with a good shooting lane and wait. Its tuff to get close enough that way but when you do it's a great feeling wether you get a shot off or not.

Leave a comment:

• Spence
    replied
    I would like to thank everyone for there comments. Every was a great help. thanks spence

Leave a comment:

• mdhager115
    replied
    A treestand is a must. Summit climbers are great. Lots of camo because you'll bve getting close to the deer. And as said above-Scent Elimination. Scent killer is good. Good Luck fellow bowhunter!

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    If you have your bow you are 1/2 way there. Everything mentioned above is good. IMO what is very very important is that you know how to shoot your bow. A $100 bow is better than a $1000 bow in the hands of a skilled archer. Skill is free. Just practice. The second thing that is very important is woodsmanship. And guess what, it's free to. I bowhunt year around. Being in the woods and learning about a deers senses, movements, postures, tail flicks, vocal noises is invaluable. Again, it's free. Now, here is the quote of the day that you will not hear from anyone but a true hunter. "This less you have to buy the better hunter you will be." Good luck. I hope you enjoy this passion as much as I do.

Leave a comment:

• kjflorian
    replied
    I am going to assume you have everything to shoot the bow or just consider the posts before mine.

I am a big believer in Scent Elimination. This is a tricky question, because money is tight for you, but on the other hand you don't want to be spooking deer when you go out.

Ideally if you can afford it, I bought the MTO50 Bibs/Parka from Cabelas. I love this outfit, but it's rather bulky and too warm to wear in early season. Their are base layers that are made for scent elimination too, check your Cabelas magazine or local store that carries these products. This would be a middle of the road solution. Probably the most cost effective way would be to buy a bottle of scent spray to apply to a less expensive camo outfit. I also recommend rubber boots to complete the ensemble,

Bow hunting is a great time, I think you will enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• peter
    replied
    u need heavy camo, a finger protecter but u can just make thatt out of a boot, and i do not beleve u need a treee stand, a well made natural ground blind looks just as goood

Leave a comment:

• T
    replied
    You will need-

- A release
    - Arrows and field tips and broadheads, field tips are not necessary but they help when practicing
    - A target ( can be bought or made )

Those are the basic things.
    For really detailed help go to

Leave a comment:

• bomberpride
    replied
    also depending on where you are hunting you may want to get a pair of binoculars and maybe a rangefinder.

Leave a comment:

• Smitty77
    replied
    If youve allready have a bow im assuming you have the arrows and all the other goodies. I would recommend some good camo and some scent eliminating spray. Youll never get a shot if the deer smells or sees you.

You can buy a good stand(climber, hang on) or you could build youreself a hang on. Lot cheaper this way. I have several that ive made and also a climber. The other option is a ground blind. They are very quiet and fast to set up.

I would also recommend a good grunt call and doe bleat. You can get out in the woods and find youreself some sheds to use for rattling antlers.

Leave a comment:

• Golfing Sportsman
    replied
    Find yourself a good release that fits you well, Don't skimp on arrows and broadheads, they are what does the killing. Get yourself a good target and practice practice practice with your broadheads so when the time comes you know you can make the shot, not just think you can.

Leave a comment:

• I would like to get into archey hunting, moneys tight so i need the basics. I already have a bow. what are some other things i n

I would like to get into archey hunting, moneys tight so i need the basics. I already have a bow. what are some other things i need for a good hunt? spence

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad