Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am going on my first deer hunt in a few weeks. Are there any tips you have learned that could help me out. Im using a rifle, I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going on my first deer hunt in a few weeks. Are there any tips you have learned that could help me out. Im using a rifle, I

I am going on my first deer hunt in a few weeks. Are there any tips you have learned that could help me out. Im using a rifle, I'm not sure what caliber. I'll be in Georgia if that helps.

Hopefully you'll be going with someone who knows what they are doing. That would be the best tip I could give you.

Comment

Hopefully you will have some time to practice with the rifle before you go hunting. That would be the best advice I can give you besides what OH said.

Comment

agreed with the comments above.

Comment

I will be in GA hunting this weekend as well. Where will you be going?

Comment

All good advice, but please heed Ontario. Also, mentally follow through on the shot.

Comment

+1 on taking some practice shots with the rifle. If you haven't spent much time around guns, make sure an experienced shooter is there to coach you.

Don't be chomping at the bit to bust the first deer you get a glimpse of. If a good shot doesn't present itself, don't try to force it.

Apart from that, be quiet, be still, and be patient, and most importantly, just have a great time being outdoors.

Comment

All good posts, to which I might add: don't take any running shots!

Comment

The posts above pretty much cover it without knowing more about your situation. Just to reiterate:
                  You cannot sit still enough.
                  You should shoot as much as your life allows between now and then even if it isn't with the rifle you will use.
                  Have fun and remember that for your first deer don't set your expectations too high.
                  Good luck!

Comment

BE SAFE, HAVE FUN, SHOOT STRAIGHT, !!! Good Luck and Good Hunting !!!

Comment

When a shooter buck presents a shot, take it, quickly. I am not saying rush your shot, take your time, just be ready and take it when it presents. Don't overthink it. Practice and shoot well ahead of time.

Comment

Make a good shot and share your adventure with us later.

Comment

Yeah, man, safety first. Don't let your eyes play tricks on you, identify that target. If you get hot, don't take off your hunter orange. When you are walking out of the woods, wear all you've got.

Good luck!

Comment

Stay in the woods all day. Many big bucks have been killed in the afternoon. Good Luck!

Comment

If its thick cover i live by the 30-30 if its long range 06 or 308

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• What An Education
                                by jhjimbo
                                Anybody who watched Tucker Carlson tonight got a real education, on several fronts. What do you think?
                                Today, 08:58 PM
                              • Just Right
                                by jhjimbo
                                Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years in...
                                Today, 08:56 PM
                              • Reply to Just Right
                                by 99explorer
                                Do you have a link for that?
                                I never heard of a cartridge developed for concealed carry.
                                Today, 08:52 PM
                              • Just Right
                                by jhjimbo
                                Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                                Today, 04:59 PM
                              • Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                by labrador12
                                Brandon is the most corrupt President in history. Brandon's crackhead son has been the bagman for his 10%. The Crackhead son who failed to pay millions...
                                Today, 08:25 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X