Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hunt for meat not trophy. And was wondering whats a good call for getting does to come in during early seaon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hunt for meat not trophy. And was wondering whats a good call for getting does to come in during early seaon

I hunt for meat not trophy. And was wondering whats a good call for getting does to come in during early seaon

Fawn bleat or fawn distress would be what I would try.

Comment

Yer right chuckles, the fawn distress will bring 'em in anytime!

Comment

Ditto on the bleat can.

Comment

Anybody know where i can get the fawn distress

Comment

The only one I know of is on my coyote caller but I bet there is a commercial one out there. As an alternative they are pretty easy to do using a simple double reed turkey diaphragm call. Way easier than turkey calls.
            My grunt tube is the kind where the pitch changes as you move your finger and it makes a decent fawn bleat but the turkey call sounds the best to me.

Comment

How do you use a turkey call

Comment

I avoid calling much...gives away my position. Take the time to scout and pattern does in the early season.

Comment

I use a simple Apple, when I get where I'm going I cut the apple into 4 peices and rub 2 of them on a tree where I want them to be then drop the other 2 on the ground, works every time and a lot cheaper than a call.

Comment

I just blow a straight breath without much tongue movement like when you are first learning to use diaphragm calls (I still am). When I heard that noise I thought hey that kind of sounds like a generic distress call as I had been coyote hunting.
                    You will have to experiment and have a recording that you can use to gauge your success. The internet has lots of sites with recorded animal sounds.
                    With all that being said I have never tried to use it for deer and only practiced as a backup to my coyote caller. Bioguy is probably right, less is more and scouting will pay greater dividends but it's always nice to have trick or two.
                    Walt's idea probably works pretty good too if it is legal where you hunt. It would get you busted in MN.
                    Good luck out there, I had two fawns within 10yds last night but never saw mom. She was either too smart or is already in the freezer or the ditch.

Comment

An old high school buddy of mine use to be able to make a fawn distress call just with his voice. I've watchd him call does in hundreds of yards away, many times they charged right to him and got within 30 yards.

Comment

the deer usually are still holding to their summer patterns and with some good scouting, you should be able to get set up with minimal calling. But here is what I do to try to coax a deer i my direction throughout the season www.deer30outdoors.com/calling-to-whitetail-deer/

Comment

Just sit on a good trail where the food source or water is. Make sure your scent control is good. You should be able to see a nice doe to be able to shoot. If you call then it might give away yourself

Comment

Called in a doe once with a fawn distress bleat, quite close actually.

Comment

I agree with chucles

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad