Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some people seem to think that their hunting prowess is judged by scores, inches, pounds, or records. What do you all think? Jus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great posts. A good hunter respects his quarry, and is persistent. If you keep at it, and learn everytime you go, you're on your way to being a "great" hunter. Any kill is a "trophy" to me. Sure, a nice wall hanger is great, but it's definitely not a "must" to be a good hunter.

Comment

steve182

To answer your question best, you Sir must decide yourself. So let me take you on a trip back in time and just see what your thoughts are after the trip. So now I put you in my shoes and now the journey begins!

During my 4-year tour (1986-90) at Eielson Air Force Base Alaska, I've been asked how many bears have I taken. I had hundreds of chances. I had my crosshairs on many with a round in the chamber of my 338 Win Mag with Nosler 250 grain partitions loaded at 2800 fps and a harvest ticket in my backpack. An easy one shot clean kill everyone. I never pulled the trigger though.

Why you ask?

The beauty and respect of one a Hunter to the other (the bear) perhaps? Most of all the cost of having it mounted I couldn't afford and I knew in the back of my mind that if I did pull the trigger, the hunt was over. I wasn't ready for the hunt to end, never. I wanted more days to hunt, just to be out there. Even if I came home empty handed, it didn't matter. The awesome power, to watch a Grizzly role rocks the size of my ATV like a basketball, hunting for rodents. I never have taken a bear until I moved back to Arkansas.
      Most of all, being alone on a mountain ridge, setting on a giant rock overlooking the endless landscape where perhaps no man ever walked.
      To watch a snow flurry on a far mountain ridge and feel the Lord setting next to me enjoying what God has made.

I may have come home empty handed,
      but my mind is full of awesome memories
      it is a experience, I'll never forget!

But the most memorable days of hunting was with my Father!

Ok steve182, what are your thoughts now?

Comment

ken.mcloud and rezavoirdog pretty much said it as well as it can be said. The only thing I would add is that numbers and scores are a way to judge yourself in comparison to other people. I really don't compete with other people but I do judge myself against my sense of whether I did my best. If you measure yourself against others you a bound to a life of frustration and disappointment.
        I judge hunting and fishing trips by the experience. Hopefully that experience includes harvesting an animal or catching fish. Hopefully it also includes a learning experience and absolutely includes a time to commune with our world. Having good friends and family along is a sure way to make it fun.
        Nate, it is not cheesy to respect your prey, it is the only way to be.
        Keep that attitude with you at all times.

Comment

Clay, I've heard you tell that story befor, it's a good one with an admirable outcome. Some of my most cherished hunts, and catches, are the ones i passed on, or caught and released. I know i am a good hunter when i'm able to do that, and get satisfaction from it. I agree with others who said a good hunter makes one shot kills, or never wounds game. Ken made the best point about having fun, connecting, passing it on, etc... I enjoyed all the answers, even though i already knew the answer!

Comment

To me a good hunter knows so much about his quarry and the terrain being hunted that he can consistenly locate and get within range of the quarry. Shooting it isn't a measure of success... the hunter can take a snapshot, admire and remember the view, give the shot to a novice or take a trophy, the choice is his. The good hunter is respectful of the quarry and the terrain and becomes really good by being able to convey his knowledge to others and take enjoyment out of their excitement and enjoyment.

Comment

Although I think it is nice to have trophy's on the wall that are not from fenced in deer hunts... that does not make a hunter "successful". I am not a truphy hunter, especially being in Florida, so to me a successful hunter is one that brings home meat in the cooler...

Comment

I also agree with ken. A good hunter is one who likes the outdoors, is knowledgeable about his equipment, somewhat skilled, and above all safe to himself and those around him. Actually shooting anything isn't necessary.

A couple times I lugged a rifle all over the mountains for a weekend and didn't shoot anything, but had a great time. My best hunt was with a camera.

Comment

i have seen people go out there first year and kill a BIG buck but from there on out its like they lose there steam because they dont think they could ever top that deer and on the other hand i have seen people hunt there whole life and never get a nice buck but harvest many deer. for me its not about how many deer i get or how big it is its about being the woods and putting the skills my father gave me to good use. the way i look at it harvesting a deer is just a bonus

Comment

Agreed with Taylor3535 and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad