Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some people seem to think that their hunting prowess is judged by scores, inches, pounds, or records. What do you all think? Jus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people seem to think that their hunting prowess is judged by scores, inches, pounds, or records. What do you all think? Jus

Some people seem to think that their hunting prowess is judged by scores, inches, pounds, or records. What do you all think? Just because i shoot a book buck, am i a good hunter? Or if i never do was i a lousy or mediocre hunter? I think not, but am not sure on the pulse of the majority of hunters today. What makes a good, decent or lousy hunter? Must i have trophies on my wall? And must they be bigger than your trophies for me to be a "better" hunter than you? Not suggesting i am.

In order for one to be a considered a "good" hunter, I believe they have to be consistently successful in the field. Whether their aim is to shoot trophy bucks every year or to fill the freezer with meat, there has to be a complete understanding of the fundamentals of hunting and the outdoors. Many people get lucky every once in a while but if you are consistently successful, you obviously have a greater understanding and knowledge of what you're doing. Once this knowledge is achieved, I believe you can be considered "good".

Comment

That being said, I don't believe people judge hunters on whether they're good or not. I believe it's more on a scale of whether they are a successful hunter or an unsuccessful one.

Comment

Taylor's right, I feel a "great hunter" is one that consistantly "brings home the bacon". Huge racks/freezer fillers it don't make a difference. If you can do it every year. Year in year out, that's what makes a "Great hunter".

Comment

Assuming all "outfitter" killed animals are out of the equation I believe it would be consistency of taking the animals you desire. The ultimate challenge being public land hunting and consistent.

Comment

I think one shot kills seperate good hunters from bad hunters. Whether it's bow or rifle the guy who takes 3 shots and shoots three deer has my respect.

Another good quality is the ability to help others. A lot of those trophy hunters keep a lot of secrets but a guy comfortable with his ability would be happy to share with anyone.

I think to a degree you have to throw in the size of the deer. I have respect for guys that wade through the ocean of medium sized deer to get the one that they want.

Comment

My definition of a "good" hunter can be entirely different from your definition. To me the best hunters are the best campmates. I could care less if they never kill anything if they are good campmates they are good hunters. To be a "great" hunter you would start by being a good hunter and progress to being consistently successful in the field.

Comment

I judge good hunters based on the time they spend in the field, their knowledge of the animal they are pursuing, and their knowledge of the terrain. Some of the best hunters I know rarely, if ever even take animlas, they enjoy guiding others into game instead. For me it also depends on the reason a hunter is in the field, are they out just for a week during season just for the kill, or are they out year round because they truely enjoy being in nature.

Comment

Here's an entirely different definition-

A "good" hunter is one who:
                  -> Has fun in the field

-> Learns about nature both in an educational and a spiritual sense.

-> Connects with his/her friends and family members while passing the traditions down to future generations.

...funny, I don't see 190" racks anywhere on that list...

Comment

I think one example of a good hunter is someone who can let a mature buck go by in favor of dropping a doe out of an over populated herd. Or one who will specifically target drakes in the duck swamp.
                    In other words, one who has their fingar on the pulse of the area in which they are hunting.

Comment

Trophys are in the eye of the beholder. Someone who is good at anything would be someone who consistently achieves what they set out to accomplish. I agree that size factors in a bit in the end. But knowledge of your game is more important.

Comment

I disagree with all of you that say that a good hunter is the one that 'brings home the bacon'. I fully agree with ken mccloud, but in my words, if you enjoy being in the field, that is one.
                        Also, it may sound cheesy, but i feel that you should have some kind of respect for the animal that you are pursuing.

Nate

Comment

Ultimately, a good hunter is one who respects and is thankful for their time outdoors and even more greatful for cleanly and quickly taking an animal be it a buck or a doe. A good hunter is a provider for those who cannot hunt or cannot enjoy the outdoors. The good hunter is someone who admires and does not envy other hunters' accomplishments no matter how big or small. Also, a good hunter is someone who is a student of nature, studies the changing world of the animals they share with the earth, and tries to share and preserve that feeling that we all get by spending our time in the outdoors.

Comment

...also, a good hunter knows when to shoot, and when to let an animal go, no matter how big it is. The good hunter not only knows that, but lets others that are hunting with them to let an animal go. No arguing, and takes them time to explain to the other hunters when they are back at camp or when the day is over...

Comment

A good hunter should make good decisions. They should be honest (as much as possibel at least!) and they should treat all game humanely. They should only take good shots.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad