Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do y'all do with possums you have killed? I have a bit of possum problem, getting into my dog's food (The dog's scared of p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do y'all do with possums you have killed? I have a bit of possum problem, getting into my dog's food (The dog's scared of p

What do y'all do with possums you have killed? I have a bit of possum problem, getting into my dog's food (The dog's scared of possums, too). I was planning on shooting a few of them, but I have no idea what to do with them once I shoot them. I'm not too fond of eating them, and I'd hate if the body went to waste, so what do y'all do? Thanks

Sorry, I accidentally posted this in the wrong category.

Comment

I use the three S rule on all trespassing varmits, Shoot,Shovel,Shutup.

Comment

I trap them in a Have-a-heart trap and transport them deeper into the wilderness and then let them go.

Comment

Shoot them, and if you want skin them, or find a person that likes opposum, or just bury them.
          Seth Trudeau

Comment

people, there are exceptions to eating what you kill!!! if they are a problem, shoot them and put them in the dumpster, i dont think anyone would find a problem with that.

Comment

The only native marsupial to the United States, the oppossum, is what I persdonally call a greasy, nasty, uneatable meat. They are scavengers and will eat anything from my persimmons and chickens to roadkill and grasshoppers. They have long been associated in folklore to be s southern food staple, but in truth I have talked to a few old timers that said they ate them or hunted and sold them only as a get-by during the Hoover days when the depression hit hard. But the raccoon was much preferred as a food staple back then and still is today. So as for oppossums, and please do not tell Daisy "Granny" Moses of Clampett fame who always liked to cook up a brace of them, but I believe in the three "S" rule also.

Comment

If you put them in the dumpster, you will have another oppossum the next night trying to eat that too. I concur on the three "S" rule.

Comment

Feed the buzzards...

Comment

I agree. I know the Good Lord made all animals for a purpose, I believe He made the opposum to feed other animals. Just not humans. Shoot and good ridance. If you trap them and turn them loose then they will eventually become someone else's problem.

Comment

I'm not sure the coyotes even eat them. They stay on the road way too long for that. Bunnies dissapear overnight round these parts.

Comment

This is the best 'possum recipe I've *ever tried.

Dress 'possum as you would any small mammal.
                        Build up a nice fire and allow it to burn until you good bed of coals.
                        Attach 'possum to a 1x12 about 2 foot long, belly side down
                        Prop board close to fire until 'possum cooks through.
                        Remove 'possum from board. Eat board. Toss 'possum.

Comment

Before you cook one, be sure it's dead. They have been known to play 'possum.

Comment

It won't go to waste unless you burn it. Let it lay in the woods in a spot where the odor won't offend neighbors. It will make great fertilizer and worm food.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, a possum is vermin just like a rat---as a matter of fact, they both have hairless tails---and I treat the dead possum just like a dead rat and don't pretend I'm going to eat either one. Of course, I likely couldn't tell the difference between a skinned squirrel which I would eat, and a skinned rat, which I wouldn't.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad