Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is better to hunt on private or public?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is better to hunt on private or public?

what is better to hunt on private or public?

i hunt mostly private. Its nice because there isn't much competition for good hunting spots.

Comment

I think that private is better, you have less of a chance to run into other hunter. Plus on private land you know the other people. It's safer.

Comment

It depends, I've been on private tracks that get more hunting pressure than public ground. I regularly on both. Public ground hunting does require that you put in effort in scouting, this is often greatly rewarded by results.

Comment

i like private land it just seems safer to me, i know im not going to get shot by some drunk crazy SOB that shouldnt be hunting.

Comment

i like to hunt on private property because there is a lot deer sometimes on private property.

Comment

Private. If you know the guy who owns it than you have a head start on everyone else. It also doesn't get hunt as much. Bu the landowner has rules where you can only shoot certain game and sex. Public land is good because you can shoot any sex... that is if what the rags say. It also gets hit a little harder. that means you just might have to find a place a little more secluded.

Comment

Private. I have a spot full of deer with no other hunters. It isn't like that on public land. On public land, the sun comes up and all you see is orange vests.

Comment

I've hunted on both. Pluses and minuses on both sides.
                  On public you do have to sscout more to get away from the other hunters unless you talk to game and fish folks and find out where the pressure IS NOT.

Comment

One is not nessecarily better than the other. Some good public land is better than lousy private land and vice-versa. Depends on habitat, pressure, access, etc. I hunt 90% public and 10% private. Problem being the private ain't that private.

Comment

Private! All the way. You can do more and have a less chance of getting shot by an amateur.

Comment

private all the way if you're lucky enough to have permission to hunt private land. Public land is a hastle and with private you don't have to worry about somebody shootin a deer that you about to shoot.

Comment

From what I can see is people on this topic are ill-informed. Everyone says public land is to crowded the animals are so pressured. Why do people not think out side the box. Most public land hunters will go on, is not far from the road. People need to get away from these heavy areas and do the research. I admit seeing alot of people on public land. But when you get into the woods deeper then they are willing to go you will score and score big. Change up the routes if you can get to the back of the land by boat do it. Trust me not many people are thinking of places like that. Just go a little farther off the beaten path you will be happy you did.

Comment

private property can be good in certain areas that are heavily surrounded by public land where people make drives and are fifty feet away from each other, but on the other hand public land usually hold lots of cover and bedding that deer will go to especially if there is lots of private land around.

Comment

I prefer hunting private primarily for the safety factor. 99.9% of the time hunting private, you know exactly who is in the woods with you. Almost the exact opposite on public land.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                The latest rumors on the pandemic.
                                They have just discovered that drinking cow urine protects against COVID-19.
                                Who'd have thunk it?
                                Today, 10:38 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                                Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                                Today, 10:19 PM
                              • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                                Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                                Today, 10:15 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X