Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a better caliber for hunting white-tailed deer, 30-06 or .270?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PredatorBC
    replied
    I favour the .270 the .30-06 is over kill to me, .270 with a 100 grain bullet will go through the shoulder and mess up the lungs and heart but won't go through the internals. The only meat damaged is the entry hole. I'd use a 30-06 for a moose not a deer.

Leave a comment:

• Red Salas
    replied
    30-06 Im using a Remington 700 I love it and my freezer stays full.

Leave a comment:

• william E.
    replied
    the 30-06 will put a lot more hit than the 270 but both are great rounds to hunt with, also if you dont like recoil than get the 270, it is less than the 30-06

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    I have and shoot both and love the .270 but if you handload the 30-06 is much more versatile due to bullet selection. There are many more bullets to choose; from 110 grains to 220 grains.

Leave a comment:

• william E.
    replied
    30-06 punches alot more punch but more damage

Leave a comment:

• Steve in Virginia
    replied
    You really can't go wrong with either caliber, although I think the '06 is more than you need for whitetail deer and therefore favor the .270.

Leave a comment:

• reed akemon-buck n bass
    replied
    30-06. but u cant go wrong whith a 270.

Leave a comment:

• DesertWalker
    replied
    WAM I would like to take a moment to say thank you to your comments as they bring laughter into my day, and I can look at them and agree on all parts, the beer, the coffee, and the round. Its true my friend is a light beer drinker and loves the .270

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    You Lite Beer and decaf coffee drinkers will like the .20 Win much better.

Leave a comment:

• WI Hunter 33
    replied
    I have a .270 and hunt in some heavier timber and it gets the job done. A 30-06 does have more knockdown but the flat shooting of the .270 is what made my decision.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    At typical whitetail ranges you will be hard put to see any difference in performance between a well placed .130 - 150 gr .270 and a well placed 150 - 180 gr. .30-06. I shoot antelope which are the size of whitetails with both .270 and .30-06 and either puts meat on the ground. As with any hunting it is all about shot placement regardless of caliber, so I agree with bass bomber and return the point to him that someone took away +1

Leave a comment:

• bass bomber
    replied
    Which ever one you're more accurate with.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Both great cartridges! I would say the .30-06 will be slightly better in heavy timber hunting and the .270 will be slightly better in open country (prairie and bean-field) hunting. The 30-06 is the most versatile in that it does both very well with different bullets but not by much. My favorite deer cartridge is the 25-06 because of its speed and knock down power. It gives up a little to the the other two in heavy timber but it smacks 'em like a 7mm Rem in the open without the recoil.

You can't go wrong with any of these so get what you like. I want to be able to hit running deer, consider 500 yards a reasonable range, don't like tracking cripples and detest recoil so its the 25-06 for me. The .270 meets all these except recoil and the 30-06 fails on recoil, is weakest on running deer and 500 yard reliability.

Leave a comment:

• NM
    replied
    Either will work. As for long range accuracy, how many 270s have been used in 1000 meter competitions?

Leave a comment:

• lil hunter
    replied
    You can't go wrong either way and i agree with both of you dhopper and DEER30

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad