Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a better caliber for hunting white-tailed deer, 30-06 or .270?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a better caliber for hunting white-tailed deer, 30-06 or .270?

Whats a better caliber for hunting white-tailed deer, 30-06 or .270?

A 30-06 is better for deer hunting with 150 to 180 grain. A .270 is a good gun for deer hunting to but not as powerful as a 30-06. Do you have a 30-06 or .270? Is it scoped?

Comment

try numrich.com

Comment

Finally beat the potty mouth sensor . gunpartscorp.com

Comment

I wouldn't want to buy guns/parts online. i rather buy a gun from an ad in the paper or a gun store as long as they don't register your gun

Comment

I've only hunted black tail but the .270 with a good scope was sufficient. Shot placement is key of course and proper ammunition makes a big difference.

Comment

got that rite squirrelgirl both calibers work but you could use the 30-06 for deer to bear to moose just depends on the ammo and grain

Comment

I have hunted deer with my 270 for years and my dad has hunted with his 30-06 for much longer. both guns are awesome guns. It really comes down to how far do u need to shoot normally. The 270 wins in long range accuracy but 30-06 wins in knock down power.

Comment

diddo dhopper!
                  I would add that a 30-06 is very capable of terrific accuracy at 400 yards. I have killed several deer at 350-375 and practiced on groundhogs out to 400. Just don't be a fraid of a little hold-over. Beyond that I can not say.

.270 shoots much flatter.

Comment

You can't go wrong either way and i agree with both of you dhopper and DEER30

Comment

Either will work. As for long range accuracy, how many 270s have been used in 1000 meter competitions?

Comment

Both great cartridges! I would say the .30-06 will be slightly better in heavy timber hunting and the .270 will be slightly better in open country (prairie and bean-field) hunting. The 30-06 is the most versatile in that it does both very well with different bullets but not by much. My favorite deer cartridge is the 25-06 because of its speed and knock down power. It gives up a little to the the other two in heavy timber but it smacks 'em like a 7mm Rem in the open without the recoil.

You can't go wrong with any of these so get what you like. I want to be able to hit running deer, consider 500 yards a reasonable range, don't like tracking cripples and detest recoil so its the 25-06 for me. The .270 meets all these except recoil and the 30-06 fails on recoil, is weakest on running deer and 500 yard reliability.

Comment

Which ever one you're more accurate with.

Comment

At typical whitetail ranges you will be hard put to see any difference in performance between a well placed .130 - 150 gr .270 and a well placed 150 - 180 gr. .30-06. I shoot antelope which are the size of whitetails with both .270 and .30-06 and either puts meat on the ground. As with any hunting it is all about shot placement regardless of caliber, so I agree with bass bomber and return the point to him that someone took away +1

Comment

I have a .270 and hunt in some heavier timber and it gets the job done. A 30-06 does have more knockdown but the flat shooting of the .270 is what made my decision.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to topic
                                by FirstBubba
                                You can only float the gears if the central processing unit rpm matches the hard drive ratio.
                                Double clutching also works if you find the sound...
                                Today, 07:42 PM
                              • topic
                                by jhjimbo
                                08-06-2022, 08:29 PM
                              • Reply to topic
                                by franchi20
                                Pick edit at the bottom of your post; choices will show up in a bar and include "delete". That will do what you want. Just for fun, l purposely...
                                Today, 07:03 PM
                              • Reply to Looking for a grain mill.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Back in the mid 80's, I was working as a rough carpenter in Dallas.
                                Showed up for work one morning and there was this dirty, longhaired, ragged...
                                Today, 06:45 PM
                              • Looking for a grain mill.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Recently found a local "niche" market for home ground whole wheat flour and cornmeal.
                                I have one grain mill, but a second would mean I...
                                08-06-2022, 04:34 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X