Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone else see the recent episode of Nosler's Magnum TV featuring African lion? The title is "Lions of the Moyowosi." In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone else see the recent episode of Nosler's Magnum TV featuring African lion? The title is "Lions of the Moyowosi." In

Did anyone else see the recent episode of Nosler's Magnum TV featuring African lion? The title is "Lions of the Moyowosi." In this episode, the hunter clearly shoots a Lichtenstein's hartebeest and a lion from a vehicle. I don't know if this is legal where they are hunting, but I must presume it is or surely they would not have allowed the filming. I must say that it makes for pretty miserable TV viewing. I usually enjoy this show very much, but seeing two magnificent animals taken in this way turned my stomach. I tried to find an e-mail contact for the show to voice my displeasure, but the forums on the club's website are for members only. Is anyone one here a member?

I have not seen the episode. The Moyowosi is located in Tanzania, and and I know of nowhere in that country where it is legal to hunt from a vehicle. On private land in South Africa, and parts of Zimbabwi I believe it may be legal to do so. However , the ethics of doing so is an entirely different matter.

Comment

P.S. I am not a member.

Comment

I found an e-mail link where one can send inquiries, but it is not functioning. If these guys were within the law, I guess it's all right, but that doesn't make it something I care to watch.

Comment

I too, feel sick to my stomach when I see things like this. I have also seen shows where the animal is clearly habituated to humans. It allows the "hunter" to walk right up to it, and then the chaos only ensues after the first shot has been fired. (I will forgo talking about the "guides" with full-auto AK's)

on a slightly related note->
          How are these people hunting endangered species such as lions, elephants, rhinos, etc...?

are there just extremely lax environmental laws in these countries?

are they privately owned zoo /farm animals?

are these specially-planned management hunts where the individual animal is chosen by the game agency?

Comment

As I understand it, neither lions nor elephants are endangered. They exist in sufficient numbers to support hunting in several African countries. My issue was with the fair chase aspect or lack thereof. Incidentally, when you see AKs, or more often FN/FALs, those are not for the animals, but for protection from poachers.

Comment

Because it's within the law doesn't make it right. The person you watched do the shooting is a coward, plain and simple.

Comment

Yeah it's pretty depressing that people who hunt these animals out of trucks but I guess you do what you feel is the best way to fill the tags I'm not going to tell them differently. There the ones hunting in Africa not me.

Comment

I stand corrected, I did some research and they are actually listed as "threatened" which is a step down from endangered.

This status allows them to be hunted in places where they have sufficient population.

Comment

Hunting from vehicles is for girly-men.

Comment

When you see someone packing an AK47 in these African scenes, he is a federal game scout, and required to be present in theory to see to it that all game regulations are being followed, and not to participate in the action. In fact if things get dangerous they sometimes disappear.

Comment

The only case I can see this being acceptable is in the case of disabled persons. I have seen sever shows from Africa and elsewhere with wounder soldiers and disabled young people hunting in this manner which I find acceptable of not applaudable.
                        For the able bodied hunter who has the choice to leave the vehicle and stalk his quary it is down right sad. But not much worse than some whitetail hunting outfitters here in the states where you are driven to your blind over a corn spreader and given a radio for when you shoot.
                        As for the people toting AK's it is no different than your Alaskan guide backing you up with a shotgun. Its the most prevalent weapon in most of the world. So that part does not bother me. For example I once watched a show on which the hunters were after Russian bears and the guide carried a dragunov which is a completely legitimate weapon of choice there.

Comment

vtbluegrass

I think you are right. As I recall, occasionally, by special permit, Tanzania will give out a disabled person permit. However, this doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.

On the subject of automatic weapons, one time the federal employee left so quickly he forgot to take his AK47 with him. Charging animals will do that sometimes.

Comment

Not a member?

Comment

Not a member?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad