Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recently purchased a .50 cal c.v.a.optima pro inline with a beraga s.s.barrel 209 primer it has a 1 in 28" twist. Would like inf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently purchased a .50 cal c.v.a.optima pro inline with a beraga s.s.barrel 209 primer it has a 1 in 28" twist. Would like inf

Recently purchased a .50 cal c.v.a.optima pro inline with a beraga s.s.barrel 209 primer it has a 1 in 28" twist. Would like info.on pet loads for accuracy and terminal penetration on whitetail deer. I have only tried 100 gr. of 777 pellets and the 245 gr. power belt areo tip. poor performance. I hear the Hornady 300 gr.xtp is good as well as the Barnes MZ 275 gr.I would appreciate any solid info. from you fussy trial and error M/L shooters. Al

The hornady bullets are fantastic. I actually shoot the 300 gr. hollow points. If the hornady's dont shoot well, I recommend that you switch to powder, not the pellets and lower your powder amount. You just have to figure out what your gun likes.

Comment

I have the same rifle and also did not get good results from the 245 gr Powerbelt or 777 pellets.
      Last year I used Pyrodex pellets and 270 Powerbelt Platinums. I got much better accuracy at the range but never got to drop the hammer on a deer. Recovered bullets from the sand backstop had good mushroom but most still had the top part of the plastic base attached. Good groups though with often 3 shots touching at 50 yds.
      This year's mission is to see if any of the Barnes products combined with the Blackhorn powder will yield good results. Pyrodex did better than 777 but is harder to clean up and has a sulfur smell. The thing about muzzleloaders is they are picky even with the same brand. I have a .50 cal Optima Elite as well and both CVA guns shoot the same load differently. Discovering what works well in your rifle is half the fun. Got a lot more expensive lately though.

Comment

My most acccurate load is 175 gn round ball with 82 grns of triple seven powder. That load is 12 for 13 on deer. One shot deflected by a tree. You will not blow the round ball thru a deer but just leave it short of the opposite side. Downsize to this load is that it does not produce a good blood trail.

I have shot Powerbelts on the range and do not care for them. I have some decent Hornady Shockwaves at 250 grns I've used in my son's Optima with Triple Seven pellets. It knocks deer down but cost with accuracy.

Comment

IM experience all in-lines are temperamental and it takes experimentation to find a load that shoots well. You did not say if you cleaned between shots. Suggest you run a wet patch then a dry patch between shots. Also I've had good luck coating my bore with a new product called Ultraborecoat. Suggest you go to www.Ultracoatingsinc.com and watch the film clip on how to apply. None other than John Barsness wrote the instructions. This is a micro thin ceramic coating that prevents a high percentage of carbon and bullet metal from adherring to your bore. I have it in all my guns and it helps. Ultraborecoat is not expensive and you can get it at "Mack's Prairie Wings" hunting supplies or you can order it online. It won't fix a bad barrel but will make cleaning easy by reducing fouling.

Comment

Forgot to add the bous at Ultracoatings inc have the latest CVA rifle on hand. you can ask them about loads if you like. My best luck in my Knight rifle was with the Barnes "red hot" all copper bullets and sabots. They are not cheap.

Comment

I’ve been using Hornady item #4300 .430 Diameter 44 CAL 265 GR FP with 150 grains of 777 @2200fps. This season planning to switch to the Hornady item #4305 .430 44 CAL 265 GR FTX (for 444 Marlin).

I buy my bullets box of 100 and Magnum Sabots separately and it’s a lot cheaper. You can pick the bullets up in the rifle reloading section at your local neighborhood gun store and may have to order the Thomson Center Magnum .429 Diam for 50 cal thru Midway.

265 is plenty heavy enough!

Comment

like any gun it depends on the type of hunting you will be doing weather you will be taking long shots or not so long shots i have 2 blackpowders setup for the type of hunt one i shoot a 175 grain bullet for longer shots and the other a 245 grain bullet for shorter hunts i plan where i will be and what type of shots i will have and take the gun that is best for that hunt

Comment

Agreed with jlfreeborn and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad