Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's your view on climbing tree stands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    I like it so far!

Leave a comment:

• Big C
    replied
    I think they are tough to use and I would prefer to stick with hang-ons and ladders, but they could be very useful in the right conditions.

Leave a comment:

• Sharkfin
    replied
    I can't imagine hunting without one. I like to be able to move around the property and nothing lets you do that and stay elevated like a climbing stand. I feel very comfortable in mine. I can't fall out of it and never had one slip on a tree of any kind.

Leave a comment:

• kyle
    replied
    I hunt with both stick stands and climber. In WI north woods you have a varitey of trees ranging from telephone poles to what ever you what to call them. It all depends on where you want to sent up. Got to take in consider the wind, angle, where the deer are coming from. One spot in a funnel I hunt at if the wind is coming from the north or west I have to use a stick stand because to many branches. I rather use a climber because it takes less time to set up. I actually feel safer in a climber. Also like I read on the other comments you have great mobability. If in the morning you have a place picked out but on the way out to the woods the wind changes directions you can adjust quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Bluegrass made many good points. I always have a locking cable on my lock-on stands but given a choice (meaning a good tree) I will use my Summit Goliath everytime. It's much more comfortable and so safe I can sleep in it. IMO a wise old buck will avoid permanent stands. I don't have any scientific evidence but most of my deer have been taken from the climber. Some of that could simply be that I stay longer in the comfortable stand. About 3 or 4 hours is all I can take in a lock-on stand. By then my back and legs are "barking" pretty bad.
    Another plus for the climber, height is not limited by the ladder or number of tree steps you carry and my preference is to get 20-25 feet high.
    However, we have plenty of Cedar trees in the mid-west and if you can find one big enough to hold a stand they are the best tree to be had concerning concealment. Cedars are very aromatic (cover scent) and the thick foliage hides your outline very well. The only problem is you have to use a lock-on stand. Sorry The Goliath is just too much for me to lug up into a tree.
    Here's a tip. If your area holds little cover after the leaves fall. You will undoubtably find the largest bucks in Cedar thickets.

Leave a comment:

• vtbluegrass
    replied
    The biggest advantage would be mobility. I feel very secure climbing with them because at no point are you hanging out there by you hands and feet on a steps that could be icy depending on the day. Just make sure the top and bottom pieces are tied together. I know people who have been stuck in the seat because the foot portion slipped away, usually cause by improper adjustments. They are indispensable on public land where it may be illegal to permanently attach a stand and you may be inviting thieves by leaving a lock-on in the woods.
    Lock-ons are nice because you hang them prior to the season and you don't have to carry the stand and hunting gear in at the same time. Also you have more choice of tree. You can get above limbs easier and you can use trees that are way to large to attach a climber to.
    If I could only have one stand it would be a climber but lock-on can be had for as little as 50 bucks so I use them on know deer haunts. My advice is have several lock-ons and one climber.

Leave a comment:

• mark mefford
    replied
    rapala lure perch patern had alot of luck with it

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    I think climbers are a great tool for bowhunters, especially when travelling. you can easily adjust your location from one day to the next according to deer movement. They are a little labor intensive and sometimes noisy, but that can be reduced with practice. I hang a few lock-on stands each year but most of my bowkills have been from my climber.

Leave a comment:

• auburn_hunter
    replied
    I prefer a ladder stand or a tripod (where there just aren't any trees you can put a ladder against). I have used a climber before and although I made it up and down several trees, I just felt nervous the whole time. Now that I have children, I think the ladder and tripod are just safer.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    I'm a bowhunter and find the climbers invaluable to setting up in good locations.

It's a misconception that trees have to be bare to climb. I have climbed trees by hand then pulled the climber up with a rope in certain places where you just want to be plus having branches below you help conceal you.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    Noisy, awkward, can't climb anything but naked trees.

Leave a comment:

• Ziggy4334
    replied
    Surprisingly, there's nothing better in my opinion. The climber may sometimes scar some varieties of trees, but staying away from the ones with weak bark is easy for most hunters to recognize once they've tried the stands once or twice. On top of that, the climbing motion IS actually safer once you've followed everything in the manual and are aware of the consequences of not using proper safety gear. Being able to climb without putting your foot on an icy step is worth the trouble!

Leave a comment:

• Reid Jones
    replied
    i don't trust them. i'm a little uneasy about being in a treestand at all but i do it alot. i can do tree stands, but i won't trust a climber. my favorite way to hunt deer is out of my hut. turkey is best on ground

Leave a comment:

• rabbitpolice88
    replied
    Some times you have to use one if you are in a very thick area or hunting a small track of land and want to keep your scent above the ground. I use a Tree Lounge when I need a tree stand to hunt out of. Mostly though I hunt from the ground.

Leave a comment:

• muskiemaster
    started a topic what's your view on climbing tree stands?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad