Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

okay, im new to hunting, what kind of equipment should i have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    I would recommend a Remington 870 pump shotgun!

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    I would recommend a Remington 870 pump shotgun!

Leave a comment:

• em17
    replied
    I think that i depends on where you live. i live in georgia and i dont need tall insulated boots with wool socks or a thick insulated coat.The coldest it ever gets during the day during deer season is the 40s.You are going to need a rifle for deer and other big game and a shotgun for turkeys and waterfowl.Make sure you have a hunters saftey before you go hunting even if the state doesnt require that you have i think you should since you know so little about hunting.

Leave a comment:

• buck hunter 17
    replied
    a gun and a stand and some gear.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    well I'll take a shot in the dark here, so to speak. Starting from the ground up;
    Boots, get good ones warm with plenty of arch support hiking boots are about 6" tall most hunting boots are 8"
    Socks wool, I like the hiking socks you get at Wal-Mart for about 12 bucks
    Layer your clothes if it cold with some insulated underwear or sweats, if its wet of there is a possiblity of getting wet a wool or poly pro will come in handy.
    outer, I wear bib overals Carhartt either lined or unlined shirt, thick and tough, wear an undershirt to keep from getting chaped.
    coat as needed gloves as needed
    wear a hat.
    gun not having a clue what you're shooting at I will recomend a 12 gauge shotgun pump action.
    a good knife, Buck makes some good ones as do others with no less than a 3" blade.
    License and permits, ink pen, lighter, watch, a day pack with "stuff" bullets,
    now go find someone that hunts whatever your planning on hunting and refine your plan.
    that's about all I can give you with what information I have

Leave a comment:

• sayerbefiddlin
    replied
    Some people are born into this experience called hunting usually from family members or friends but some of us take it up later in life, and there is much to learn. Find a fellow hunter who is honest in his answers and ask a lot questions. Any and every question that comes to mind. Most begining hunters I know their first purchase is a warm camo jacket. Because the first person to take them hunting has the killing equipment. The guy I helped get started hunting years ago carried my buck out of the woods for me last season that is, after he saw for the first time how to gut and field dress it. Hunting in its purest form is the goodness of man and the Greatness of God.

Leave a comment:

• huskerguy
    replied
    I like the .30 30 or .243...I use them for deer and coyotes. Their strong enough to take down deer and small enough that it doesnt tear the coyote fur. Get some orange, warm clothes, a good knife, and you'll be pretty well set. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    first a gun. 270 for a deer and 300 for and elk. Orange vest. Warm clothes lots of bullets and luck. And a good knife (Buck or Alaskan Guide)

Leave a comment:

• wally
    replied
    I would have to know what quarry you are pursuing. I have a Franchi 12ga that I have use for everything. It is made by Bennelli. I skeet/trap shoot with it. I have duck/pheasant/quail/ptarmigan/rabbit hunted with it. I can even put slugs through it with the proper choke tube. One thing that I would tell you if you are going to get a rifle and a handgun is try to get interchangable ammo (i.e. .44 Ruger Single Six, and a .44 Marlin Lever Action).

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    Seriously Rick if your totally new buy a 22 rifle, a couple bricks of ammo and, shoot shoot shoot.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    What the heck, shoot your wad and buy H&H rifles, Weatherby loaded ammo and Filson clothing.

Leave a comment:

• mdhager115
    replied
    I started off my hunting career bowhunting. Its a little expensive but you get very close to deer and you can hunt on more land since you are only shooting 20-30 yrds out. I recommend talking with hunters you know. I was in to hunting for about 3 yrs before
    I ever ACTUALLY WENT hunting. It was well worth the wait, because im hooked!

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Golfing sportsman is right you need a mentor. If there is a trap and skeet range in your area I suggest you go there and ask management for help. There are always people around those places that are willing to help a newbie. no ranges then try a gunshop. They want to sell guns and usually the staff at your local gun store can help. A good start is to try shootin some targets before you go hunting anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• Golfing Sportsman
    replied
    jbone377, I would love to help but your question is so broad. Are you bowhunting, waterfowling, big game hunting. Are you in Manitoba, Georgia, New Mexico? Before anyone can give good advice we need good information to work with. The only advice I can give at this point is to find a mentor, someone who can take you out and teach you before you do anything on your own, the other thing i'd take a hunter safety course. This is manditory before you can buy a tag in most places anyway and you will meet people who can help you out. Good luck and be safe.

Leave a comment:

• T
    replied
    Look on other websites for tips and techniques. There's many different things and ways to hunt. There's not enough space to answer this question.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to COVID 19 “Super-spreader” !....
    by 99explorer
    lab-
    That would be classified information.
    Yesterday, 11:53 PM
  • COVID 19 “Super-spreader” !....
    by bowhunter75richard
    The biden administration is now concerned that the UN General Assembly taking place in NYC, has the potential of being a super-spreader of the Covid virus...
    Yesterday, 07:29 AM
  • Reply to Target Practice
    by jhjimbo
    What is the current going price for American made 9mm 115gr box of 50 ? I just bought Remington 115gr Target ammo for $20. Is that a good price ?
    Yesterday, 11:20 PM
  • Target Practice
    by jhjimbo
    My Niece has been doing some shooting, 9mm and .22lr - doing very good. Shoots at a large indoor two level range. She has 2 pistols and already looking...
    09-17-2021, 07:51 PM
  • Reply to Vacating Afghanistan
    by jhjimbo
    Another useless post by the idiot. The U.S. legally turned the equipment over to the Afgan Army and Government, not just trained the Afgan on our equipment....
    Yesterday, 11:04 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X