Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

okay, im new to hunting, what kind of equipment should i have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• okay, im new to hunting, what kind of equipment should i have?

okay, im new to hunting, what kind of equipment should i have?

Well you are going to have to start with something to shoot. I would recommend a Remington 870 pump shotgun. They are one of the most reliable guns ever made. I have had mine for over 8 years now and it shoots just like it did when it was new.

Comment

The answer can fill a page, to start, do a lot of reading and asking more specific questions from seasoned hunters on firearms, field safety, gear i.e cloting & equipment, know about the game you intend on hunting and so on.... DO THE RESEARCH before you even step into the woods!

You can spend unnecessary big $$$ on what you need but if you don't know how to make full use of it you will not enjoy this sport. Good luck

Comment

well it depends on what ur hunting but,for a deer rifle 30-06s are reliable and can be used for big game too. u should also buy warm camo clothes, a orange hatand vest, water proof boots, ect

Comment

a 30-6 for deer and some big game, water proof boots, warm camo clothes, good socks , and orange hat and vest. u can also use grunt calls, deer urine, and doe bleats for deer.

Comment

What kind of hunting are you going to do? My suggestion would be to go with someone and see what you need. Or, talk to guides in your area and maybe do a guided hunt to see what gear you need.
            Different kinds of hunting require different gear. Different climates also require different gear.

Comment

The answer can fill a page, to start, do a lot of reading and asking more specific questions from seasoned hunters on firearms, field safety, gear i.e cloting & equipment, know about the game you intend on hunting and so on.... DO THE RESEARCH before you even step into the woods!

You can spend unnecessary big $$$ on what you need but if you don't know how to make full use of it you will not enjoy this sport. Good luck

Comment

like Koeka said do your research, different types of hunting require different gear. Also check you state regulations if you are big game hunting almost all require some blaze orange clothing. Some things you will almost always need though are a quality flashlight and a good knife. I would start out simple and not blow a lot of money on high dollar guns and gear until you are more comfotable with yourself in the field.

Comment

Like koeka said do the research different types of hunting require different gear. A couple things that will always be helpful are a good knife and a good quaility flashlight. I would start out buying just the essential stuff when it ocmes to other gear and then you can spend more once you know for sure what will be helpful to your hunting style.

Comment

Remington 870 with different barrels for different game species

Comment

well it all matars of what type of hunting
                      deer
                      deer are hard if you dont know how to hunt them
                      you need the right camo for your surounding and to be
                      sent free
                      and look for the trail they are on and find, out when they are travling thourgh and if in a treestand set it off the trails about 10-15 yards and have good cover around you.
                      make shure that the wind is in your favor and if not they some time sent you not always but it a given for them

Comment

Look on other websites for tips and techniques. There's many different things and ways to hunt. There's not enough space to answer this question.

Comment

jbone377, I would love to help but your question is so broad. Are you bowhunting, waterfowling, big game hunting. Are you in Manitoba, Georgia, New Mexico? Before anyone can give good advice we need good information to work with. The only advice I can give at this point is to find a mentor, someone who can take you out and teach you before you do anything on your own, the other thing i'd take a hunter safety course. This is manditory before you can buy a tag in most places anyway and you will meet people who can help you out. Good luck and be safe.

Comment

Golfing sportsman is right you need a mentor. If there is a trap and skeet range in your area I suggest you go there and ask management for help. There are always people around those places that are willing to help a newbie. no ranges then try a gunshop. They want to sell guns and usually the staff at your local gun store can help. A good start is to try shootin some targets before you go hunting anyhow.

Comment

I started off my hunting career bowhunting. Its a little expensive but you get very close to deer and you can hunt on more land since you are only shooting 20-30 yrds out. I recommend talking with hunters you know. I was in to hunting for about 3 yrs before
                              I ever ACTUALLY WENT hunting. It was well worth the wait, because im hooked!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                I do feel sorry for those rookie cops on the scene who had their backs to the brutality being committed by their senior officer.
                                Today, 06:00 PM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to How do you fly ?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I tend to buy scopes to fill a need that I already have in hand. I always shop hard and can usually find a good deal somewhere on the planet when I am...
                                Today, 05:48 PM
                              • How do you fly ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                                by dewman
                                As long as no lightning I don't care if it rains.
                                Today, 05:45 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X