Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I saw something Sarge01 wrote on someone else's question. Made me think. How many people grew up you eat what you kill? I hunt f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I either eat the game I kill or give it to a needed family that will eat it. Most of the trophy hunters I know donate all their meat; I don't think many trophy hunters cut the head off and leave the animal in the field. Illegal in most states I've hunted. I don't eat the one or two coyotes I kill per year either. When I used to run a trapline, I'd shoot whatever was in the trap, but I never ate the possums or coons.

Comment

I hunt meat! Not for horns and ego! If I won't eat it I don't kill it! I don't believe in killing just for pleasure!

Comment

other then crows and varmints, i pretty much eat everything i kill. no, i dont have to hunt for meat, but dont kill an animal and leave it lay if you can eat it.

Comment

i have been fishing to eat something good at school lately, may be over my yearly mercury allowance for the year... I always eat the venison, birds I shoot. I give away quite a bit, people know that i am a hunter and i always offer up the small game like rabbits or squirrels, just not my favorite thing to eat. I have never left any animal i've killed in the woods and I never will.

Comment

Well PigHunter, Hi, my name is Pete, and you just met someone who eats what they kill! And NO, I don't eat spiders or mosquitos.. I just don't believe in killing animals for no reason other than the fact that you can.. If you have to kill something for your own personal thrill at least donate the meat!
            And I'm not talking about defending your property or crops or anything of that nature. I'm just saying I don't aggree with loading a gun and walking into the woods just to shoot something and let it lay. That's why they invented TARGETS!

Comment

Eat what you kill is what I was taught! Unless it's something like yotes or problem animals like a skunk or beaver or armadillo. I know some people like armadillo but for some reason it just doesn't sound that great to me!

Comment

If you kill it, you eat it.

Comment

Trophy hunters who don't eat what they kill make our sport look bad. Sure, everyone wants the biggest buck, fish, ect. but we also eat the meat!

Comment

i think that most trophy hunter atleast donate the meant to FFHP

Comment

Happy,
                      The country store where we bought our groceries on Sat. night also has chicken, horse, and hog feed too. The guy had a wooden barrel in the back where the feed was and only during a certain time of the year that he kept salt fish in. I remember taking the big fork hanging on the post and getting 3 big salt fish out of the barrel. It was just Mom, Dad and I so we just got 3. We only ate salt fish for breakfast. That was one of the treats of the year. Did you ever drink Postum ? It was sort of a substitute for coffee sort of a cross between coffee and hot chocolate. You can't find it now. We stocked up on ammunition one time a year.

Comment

Sarge01, you can find Postum in the Buffalo N. Y. area even today in a few stores. I know of older folks from the South enjoy it and a few older locals too. I'm a black coffee (no sugar)guy but one day I'll try it.

Comment

Sarge,
                          Postum, brings back even more memories. As I recall less expensive than coffee.

Comment

Happy,
                            It was less expensive. My Grandma always kept it sitting on the kitchen table. I remembered as a young kid it was a treat to go to Grandma's and get to drink it.

Comment

If I don't eat it, I don't kill it. Unless of course I give meat or fish to a friend or family member.

Comment

we've always eaten what we kill except for crows, coyotes, and prairie dogs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad