Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people perfer to shot single shot rifles during deer hunting season? I shoot a Ruger #1 in .270 and 45/70. I like the c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dbramley, thanks for the heads up. I will try and be careful about shot selection but I haven't been able to use that rifle for hunting yet so I'm going to this year. I will try not to make to much hamburger in the field. Cheers.

Comment

I was very pleased with my Ruger #1 "International" in 7x57mm and my Ruger #3 in .22 Hornet still earns its keep as a walking varminter and jackrabbit carbine. My bolt action varminters are used exclusively in single-shot mode. The exception would be my lever action rifles. I normally take a very deliberate approach to shooting in the field - another reason I prefer varminting at this point in life - and having one (1) round to rely upon is a reminder to careful with bullet placement. I often keep a second round between my fingers for a follow-up, if necessary, but I do prefer single-shots. I don't know if that requires (or generates) confidence, but it does present an economy of resources. The shooter doesn't "spray & pray" with a single-shot! Your potential volume of fire is perhaps a fourth or fifth of a lever action or pump, but it's an easily accepted, self-imposed constraint for those who prefer it.

Comment

I wanted to get into the single shot hunting and purchased $2400.00 worth of T/C Encore products. Great mistake. Couldn't get them to shoot and traded them off after about 4 months and most of my hair pulled out. Won't do that dumbness again. No wonder T/C has to advertize so much to get people to buy their guns. I would love to have a Ruger Light Sporter in 7X57mm some day. That is my idea of a fine single shot rifle. I would even settle for the Ruger #1 International 7X57mm. I have been keeping my eye out for a good used one but haven't had any luck. Maybe some day.

Comment

Sorry, dbramley, but I don't find the No. 1 a "challenge". I just find it the most accurate rifle in my collection.
          I find my No. 1 .270 Win a real pleasure to shoot, extremely accurate.
          There is NO challenge to killing deer with my No. 1.
          Put the crosshair where I want the bullet to go, then squeeze! Job done! ...except for the gutting and processing!!!! LOL!!

Bubba

Comment

I've used my Ruger #1B in 280 Rem to hunt elk at my cousins ranch in Wyoming for over 30 years. A 160 gr.Nosler PARTITON ahead of IMR 4350 get the job done with one shot.

Comment

Good deer and elk hunters always plan for taking only one shot before touching off the first shot. Banking on the second one if you miss the first is sheer folly most places.

Comment

One shot from a rifle is usually plenty... a rifle is a lot more forgiving than an arrow. That being said, I have garnered quite a bit of game in my life on the second shot although usually not something as large as a deer. I guess that is why I carry five rounds in my rifle. I actually got to use all five a year ago when my new rifle failed to fire on the first four rounds. Boy, was it ever nice to hear that last one go bang cause those antelope were starting to get out there.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad