Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people perfer to shot single shot rifles during deer hunting season? I shoot a Ruger #1 in .270 and 45/70. I like the c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people perfer to shot single shot rifles during deer hunting season? I shoot a Ruger #1 in .270 and 45/70. I like the c

How many people perfer to shot single shot rifles during deer hunting season? I shoot a Ruger #1 in .270 and 45/70. I like the challenge of knowing only one shot will get the job done, and if I miss it was all on me.

Don't get me wrong I have a bunch of rifles just recent yrs I have chosen to challenge my self with the single shot Ruger #1. One shot one kill

Comment

I have been watching for a #1 in .30-06 or something similar for some time. I think knowing I have only one shot will make me a better hunter. I'm primarily a bowhunter these days or i'd definitely have bought one already. Is the #1 an ambidexterous rifle? My boy is a lefty.

Comment

About as ambidextrous as one can get with the lever on the bottom of the trigger guard and a tang safety.

Comment

I like the mindset of a single-shot hunter, as opposed to that of a hunter with a semi-auto. The bolt action rifle seems to be a good compromise. A quick follow-up shot is often necessary to prevent a wounded animal from escaping.

Comment

My .243, .223 (not for deer) and 45/70 are all single shot. I haven't hunted deer with a bolt action for years. Like many of you I find that a single shot keeps me focused on making good choices. The 45/70 will be the deer rifle this year.

Comment

I've been shooting a Browning .270 semi auto for about 10 years and only once in that time can I remember having to squeeze a second shot off. Maybe I should consider a bolt action or single shot.

Comment

I hunt with a Remington bolt rifle a good bit, but the rest of my deer hunting is done with a T/C Encore .35 Whelen or a Handi-rifle in .45/70. It doesn't matter what I'm hunting with - I always pick my shots carefully. I think I've only taken two deer that required a second shot. I just like those rifles - the Encore is a tack driver and looks good, and the H&R was cheap.

Comment

I think what you like to use is mostly personal preference. There are some dandy single shots out there.

Comment

hey chuckles I wouldnt shoot deer with a 45-70 did that a couple of yrs ago in a quartering away shot and blew her right shoulder completely off figured i would put that out there

Comment

Myself I use a Burris scoped Browning High Wall in 30-06 with an Octagonal barrel and a Canjar trigger

Comment

although our texas deer are probably smaller lol

Comment

The very first afternoon I took my brand new #1-A light rifle in .270 Winchester hunting, two bucks came out on me, one was a monster 6 point, real wide, and the other was an 8 point, real heavy. It was bad enough having to decide which one to shoot, but doubting that the other one would stick around long enough for me to get loaded again and take him too was just too much strain for me to bear.
                          I made a clean shot on the 8 point, the six point ran straight at me and stopped at twenty yards, and I probably shot a foot under him.
                          I retired the single shot.

Comment

knowing youve only got one shot at the quarry has an amazing effect on the brains ability to focus on the moment at hand. somehow you just know you arent gonna miss.

Comment

hey Pig that handi rifle is gonna last a lot longer than you from the look of your photo. your great great great grandkids (godwilling) are gonna be shooting it. hehehehe. and maybe not on this planet!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad