Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to bring in a deer into shooting range without using a lot of different calls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to bring in a deer into shooting range without using a lot of different calls?

What is the best way to bring in a deer into shooting range without using a lot of different calls?

Best bet is to have the deer patterned and study the trails in the area so you are already in a position where the deer will wander by.

Comment

Preparation (scouting, scouting and more scouting) and patience.

Comment

Set up downwind of travel routes and scout so you can be there at the right place and right time.

Comment

Its called a .264 Win Mag and range time. Then you will laugh when people say out of range.
          That's magnum sarcasm by the way. Scouting is the correct answer.

Comment

Well everyone else is correct, you need to scout and be in the correct spot to begin with if you dont want to use a call. Another option would be to set up some scent to possibly help draw a deer in, but scouting and being properly prepared is your best bet.

Comment

Intimacy of the land, stealth, and many days in the field.

Comment

From what I've seen the most effective tactic is to be a doe in heat.

Comment

The simplest answer is to be where he wants to go. He always wants one of four things food, sex, water or security. If you are near any of those he will eventually come to you. It is your job to see him before he sees you.

Comment

i would think a realy good scent because it would attract it in closer so you could get a shoot off on it.

Comment

vtbluegrass said it best Use a 264 Win Mag!

A 25-06 will do a fine job too!

I know a trick how to bring them in close, but I’m going to video tape it and post it up on the web or better yet sale it to F&S!

Comment

Although everyone got it right with the scouting and the 25-06(Clay Cooper), you can also use different scents. Doe esturs, active scrape, ect. Also a decoy wouldnt be a bad idea. Ive killed 5 deer so far(im just over 14years old) ive never used calling. the only thing ive used is doe estrus and it really works. Plus you have to play the wind. Also Scent Killer works the best.

Comment

bobbywade, don't worry about calling them, do as others said and scout for a site.
                          hunterkid94, I agree stay scent free but remember to much of that esterus stuff can scare them off. Also there's nothing wrong with a tasty doe.

Comment

Find a bottleneck and set up downwind with good shooting lanes. Another favorite is a stream with high banks and few places to cross. Got my 17 pointer at just such a place.
                            If you are hunting near a food source scout well to find where deer are entering the field. The best buck will almost always enter last, maybe after dark. To get him you need a stand on the trails he is using and you must not alert any of the early arriving doe's or the jig will be up. The best way to keep them from smelling you is to stay downwind of any deer.

Comment

Scout the trails, de-scent and wait. During rut I do hang out a doe in estrus scent tab and I have also gotten bucks to come from a couple hundred yards away with one simple doe bleat. It makes them think about it and come your way on the trail you are hunting. The best bet is to be on an active trail.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad