Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So whats your favorite firearm set up for deer? (gun/scope/bullet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• platte river rat
    replied
    I have three, Browning Stainless Stocker, 270WSM, Redfield 4 x 12 scope, Hornady 130 SST --Tikka T-3 Stainless, 25-06, Weaver Grand Slam, 4.5 x 14, Hornady 117 SST--Ruger 1B, 280 Rem. Burris Signature 3 x 9, Hornady 139 SST. I use Hornady bullets because I only live 20 miles from the plant and know a lot of people who work there, also never been disapointed in the performance of any Hornady product, used them or over 50 years.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I also have a Remington 700CDL .280 Remington that my wife bought me for my birthday last year. It has a Nikon ProStaff 3X9X50 on it and I shoot Hornady 139 grain SST's. I killed a deer with it this year. It isn't my everyday deer rifle but I killed a deer with it just because she bought it for me. Makes a fine backup in the gunsafe.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I have three:
    1. Weatherby Mark V Ultralight 25-06 with Leupold 3.5-10x50 duplex reticle for long woods hikes and lots of climbing. Great light gathering for dark timbers. 100g Hornady @ 3350 fps or Hornady 117g at 3150 fps depending on thickness of brush.

2.Remington 700 Sendero 25-06 with Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 tactical mil-dot reticle for bean field shots using Sierra Game King 100g @33350 fps.

3. .300 Dakota with Leupold 6.5-20x40 target with duplex reticle using 210g Bergers @2850 fps for 1000 yard shots. I haven't shot one yet at that range; I'm still practicing.

I have actually carried a .375 H&H with 300g Barnes TSX @ 2650 fps where I expected running deer in thick brush and heavy timber. It is capable of decking a deer after passing through at least a couple of trees good sized trees. However, I've never actually shot one with it yet. Maybe next year. I've shot several in these conditions with a .35 Rem 760 with 2.5X fixed power scope and 200g bullets of any kind. It does an amazing job cutting brush on the way to the deer but 3 inch trees are the biggest I've ever actually shot through on the way to the deer with this rig.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry A.
    replied
    I use my CZ 550 in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, topped with a 3x9x40 Nikon Prostaff, and 140 grain Remington Corelokts.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    *on = only

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    Browning A-bolt 12ga, Winchester Sabots, 2x7 Leupold shotgun scope. Illinois is a slug on state.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Winchester Model 70 in 6.5X55mm Swedish Mauser with 129 grain Hornady Light Magnum soft-point bullets. Leupold VX-II 2-7X33mm scope.

Leave a comment:

• labrador12
    replied
    Rem 760 30-06 that my late wife bought me in 1971 as a wedding present. I shoot 165 gr core loks using iron sights. NY changed the law allowing rifles in my neck of the woods a few years ago. Before the change I put venison in the freezer with a $50 used Ithaca with a 18in buck barrel with open sights.

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    Rem 700 264 Win Mag with 120 gr Sierra Pro Hunter bullets. It has a Leupold 3-9 on it.

Leave a comment:

• Ga hunter
    replied
    Remington 700 in .308 with a Leupold 2-7 scope and Hornady 165 grain GMX bullets. (Switching to the SST bullet next year)

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    Browning .270 win with 3-9x40 Leupold firing a 130 gr. Hornady Interlock

Leave a comment:

• buckwoods
    replied
    I use a intrarms 30-06 with a tasco 3x-9x scope with pmc 150 grain bullets. Don't know if it's my favorite but, it's all I've ever hunted with so, but i plan to get a new rifle for next season

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    On a deer only hunt, I like my old Model 700 ADL, .308 Win with 2-7x33 Leupold spitting either a 150 Speer Hot-Cor SP or 165 Speer Grand Slam SP or the Ruger M-77, .257 Roberts with 3-9x42 Sightron S-II shooting 120 gr Nosler Partitions. Although I have killed more deer with my .35 Whelen in recent years. I must admit that I have not shot a deer since 2007 due to being a bit picky.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    For whitetails in my neck of the woods in the deep south a 7mm-08 with a 2-7 X 38 scope with a german #4 reticle is hard to beat. Ammo is loaded with either the 120 grain TTSX or the 140 grain TTSX from Barnes.

Leave a comment:

• OutdoorEnvy
    replied
    Forgot to mention I shoot Remington Core-Lokt 150gr for both. They both group great and the ammo doesn't cost a lot so I shoot more.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Looking for a grain mill.
    by FirstBubba
    Back in the mid 80's, I was working as a rough carpenter in Dallas.
    Showed up for work one morning and there was this dirty, longhaired, ragged...
    Today, 06:45 PM
  • Looking for a grain mill.
    by FirstBubba
    Recently found a local "niche" market for home ground whole wheat flour and cornmeal.
    I have one grain mill, but a second would mean I...
    08-06-2022, 04:34 PM
  • Reply to topic
    by Danbo
    I have erased topics I decided not to keep up.
    We're just having fun,
    This is also the most interesting topic currently going in my opini...
    Today, 06:35 PM
  • topic
    by jhjimbo
    08-06-2022, 08:29 PM
  • Reply to TGIF; Any Questions?
    by franchi20
    Mein Gott! 37 years.
    Today, 05:38 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse