Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So whats your favorite firearm set up for deer? (gun/scope/bullet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winchester Model 70 in 6.5X55mm Swedish Mauser with 129 grain Hornady Light Magnum soft-point bullets. Leupold VX-II 2-7X33mm scope.

Comment

Browning A-bolt 12ga, Winchester Sabots, 2x7 Leupold shotgun scope. Illinois is a slug on state.

Comment

*on = only

Comment

I use my CZ 550 in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, topped with a 3x9x40 Nikon Prostaff, and 140 grain Remington Corelokts.

Comment

I have three:
            1. Weatherby Mark V Ultralight 25-06 with Leupold 3.5-10x50 duplex reticle for long woods hikes and lots of climbing. Great light gathering for dark timbers. 100g Hornady @ 3350 fps or Hornady 117g at 3150 fps depending on thickness of brush.

2.Remington 700 Sendero 25-06 with Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 tactical mil-dot reticle for bean field shots using Sierra Game King 100g @33350 fps.

3. .300 Dakota with Leupold 6.5-20x40 target with duplex reticle using 210g Bergers @2850 fps for 1000 yard shots. I haven't shot one yet at that range; I'm still practicing.

I have actually carried a .375 H&H with 300g Barnes TSX @ 2650 fps where I expected running deer in thick brush and heavy timber. It is capable of decking a deer after passing through at least a couple of trees good sized trees. However, I've never actually shot one with it yet. Maybe next year. I've shot several in these conditions with a .35 Rem 760 with 2.5X fixed power scope and 200g bullets of any kind. It does an amazing job cutting brush on the way to the deer but 3 inch trees are the biggest I've ever actually shot through on the way to the deer with this rig.

Comment

I also have a Remington 700CDL .280 Remington that my wife bought me for my birthday last year. It has a Nikon ProStaff 3X9X50 on it and I shoot Hornady 139 grain SST's. I killed a deer with it this year. It isn't my everyday deer rifle but I killed a deer with it just because she bought it for me. Makes a fine backup in the gunsafe.

Comment

I have three, Browning Stainless Stocker, 270WSM, Redfield 4 x 12 scope, Hornady 130 SST --Tikka T-3 Stainless, 25-06, Weaver Grand Slam, 4.5 x 14, Hornady 117 SST--Ruger 1B, 280 Rem. Burris Signature 3 x 9, Hornady 139 SST. I use Hornady bullets because I only live 20 miles from the plant and know a lot of people who work there, also never been disapointed in the performance of any Hornady product, used them or over 50 years.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to TGIF; Any Questions?
                  by fitch270
                  Tell me about it, I smile through gritted teeth at that one as I graduated HS in ‘85.

Speaking of Whitesnake.

Today, 07:52 PM
                • TGIF; Any Questions?
                  by fitch270
                  I’ll take song titles for $1000 Alex.

Yesterday, 08:34 PM
                • Reply to topic
                  by FirstBubba
                  You can only float the gears if the central processing unit rpm matches the hard drive ratio.
                  Double clutching also works if you find the sound...
                  Today, 07:42 PM
                • topic
                  by jhjimbo
                  08-06-2022, 08:29 PM
                • Reply to topic
                  by franchi20
                  Pick edit at the bottom of your post; choices will show up in a bar and include "delete". That will do what you want. Just for fun, l purposely...
                  Today, 07:03 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X