Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the easiest way to bring bobwhites to my land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the easiest way to bring bobwhites to my land?

Whats the easiest way to bring bobwhites to my land?

Own several thousand contiguous acres and have a boat load of money to spend on management! Here are a couple of links you might enjoy.

http://www.georgiawildlife.org/Assets/Documents/Hunting/Bobwhite%20Quail%20Initiative%20Fact%20Sheet%20Feb 2007.pdf
    http://www.georgiawildlife.org/documentdetail.aspx?docid=400&pageid=1&category=ed ucation

Comment

1) Reduce natural predator population
      2) Increase or maintain sustainable cover
      3) Preserve or introduce a year-round water source
      4) Contact your local Parks & Wildlife Dept for resource information germane to your specific area.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

Comment

A food and water source are also important along with habitat natural to quail if you already have some just increasing food and habitat might be enough if not there really is no cheap way to go. If you have the money you can buy eggs and an incubator/brooder. However its my understanding that pen raised birds will never reproduce in the wild, but using brooder that are in the environment increase the likelyhood of them reproducing.

Comment

To go with what herbie said, raised birds have less than a 3% chance of surviving in the wild - regardless of making it to reproductive age or not. The brooders are incredibly expensive and from my experience and biological knowledge of quail (and pheasants for that matter) pen raised release is definitely NOT the way to go.

One thing I do know about quail is that they like disturbance in habitat. An example of this would be plowing a row through an area of native vegetation and then seeding this area with a different native species of plants or mixture thereof. Another, and probably the best thing to do with the plowed area is to let it regrow in weeds. The weeds produce millions of seeds every year that can become a very valuable food resource for the quail.

Oh yea, and water is good too!!

Comment

first kill or trap the good majorities of the fox population then put sufficient food source and wait.

Comment

cover, cover, cover.

Comment

Provide food water and cover and they will come. It's as simple as that. Then you get an ice storm that just about wipes out the quail like we got last year. Never saw a wild quail this season.

Comment

Best way to bring quail to your land? I think in a cage in the back of your pickup truck

Comment

The easiest way is to go buy a truck load of them but they won't last. you've got to kill ALL the predators provide food cover and water. Foxes may kill a few but here its Hawks that get the majority and unfortunitly its illegal to shoot them.

Comment

look in the phone book under White, Bob and call haha. cover is the answer!

Comment

Provide food water and cover and they will come!

Comment

Provide food water and cover and they will come!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad