Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your goal every year when you take the woods? Are you looking to fill the freezer, take a buck, or shoot something big en

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your goal every year when you take the woods? Are you looking to fill the freezer, take a buck, or shoot something big en

What's your goal every year when you take the woods? Are you looking to fill the freezer, take a buck, or shoot something big enough to be eligible for Pope and Young or Boone and Crockett books?

Right now, this Fall I would like to take a Pope & Young Muley Buck, Bull Elk, OR Pronghorn Buck!

Comment

i shoot for the meat first then rest of season once i hunt differantly, rarely do i just hunt for horns.

Comment

Although I hope for a big buck and a record holder... I do not go hunting for that purpose only. I go for filling up the freezer. If I get a big buck, it is just a bonus.

Comment

During my 4-year tour (1986-90) at Eielson Air Force Base Alaska, I've been asked how many bears have I taken. I had hundreds of chances. I had my crosshairs on many with a round in the chamber of my 338 Win Mag with Nosler 250 grain partitions loaded at 2800 fps and a harvest ticket in my backpack. An easy one shot clean kill everyone. I never pulled the trigger though.

Why you ask?

The beauty and respect of one a Hunter to the other (the bear) perhaps? Most of all the cost of having it mounted I couldn't afford and I knew in the back of my mind that if I did pull the trigger, the hunt was over. I wasn't ready for the hunt to end, never. I wanted more days to hunt, just to be out there. Even if I came home empty handed, it didn't matter. The awesome power, to watch a Grizzly role rocks the size of my ATV like a basketball, hunting for rodents. I never have taken a bear until I moved back to Arkansas.
          Most of all, being alone on a mountain ridge, setting on a giant rock overlooking the endless landscape where perhaps no man ever walked.
          To watch a snow flurry on a far mountain ridge and feel the Lord setting next to me enjoying what God has made.
          I may have come home empty handed,
          but my mind is full of awesome memories
          it is a experience, I'll never forget!

But the most memorable days of hunting was with my Father!

Any questions!

Comment

Clay Cooper, well put, I fully understand. When I head to the tall timber, I go with the hope of fresh meat for the freezer, seeing my dogs do well, and seeing old friends, with horn and hide being a bonus but not a necessity. I place greater value on the rolls of film I shoot that will last longer, mean more, and cost less, but most of all the time spent enjoying creation with my kids and close friends is what it's all about.

Comment

I hunt for meat...
              dont get me wrong, I like a nice set of antlers as much as the next guy, but Im primarily out there to fill my freezer...
              The natives here in Alaska are quick to point out that, "you cant eat the antlers."
              makes sense to me...

Comment

King,007,Cooper all have it right. I'll look for horns(3pt.rule)shoot for meat, and hope for the "Big boy".
                Good luck and good hunting this season.

Comment

When i travel to hunt(pa.) i shoot any legal buck, 3 pts on a side. At home i try to be more selective. If i decide to trophy hunt, i'll take a doe for the freezer early in the season.

Comment

I'll take whatever I can get. I'm not really the "if it's brown, it's down" type of guy, but whatever God allows to wander my way, that's what I will take. This past year, I tried very hard to get a nice buck, but it never happened. I settled for three does and buttonhead (oops, but good eatin!). The real prize is just being out there.

Comment

Who wouldn’t like to bag the world record or hunt for meat besides I would be lieing if I said I wouldn’t. I have witness Hunters get so mad they not only there temper tantrum damaged something but they endangered those around! I watched a High Master rap his brand new M1A he had built costing over $3000 wrap it around his back bumper and threw it into the parking lot then drove off almost losing control of his truck!

Comment

I simply like to hunt. I will shoot some meat for the freezer and I do enjoy hunting a large buck should I come across one. But, it's still about the hunt...

Comment

I scout throughly in the preseason and find the biggest buck in my area and hunt him and only him. After that I shoot for meat.

Comment

1. Have fun and enjoy the world we inhabit
                            2. Fill the freezer
                            3. Take a decent buck
                            4. Record book deer. Never even seen one that comes close but my guess is it would be a hoot.
                            In that order.

Comment

Fill the freezer, we live on venison in my house, I haven't bought beef in over a year.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad