Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any tips for predator hunting? i have tried it once recently with a mouth blown call (rabbit in distress) and called a coyote in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any tips for predator hunting? i have tried it once recently with a mouth blown call (rabbit in distress) and called a coyote in

any tips for predator hunting? i have tried it once recently with a mouth blown call (rabbit in distress) and called a coyote in to about 100 yards but didn't have a shot after about 10 minnutes he lost interst and walked away i've thought about a decoy any ideas?

Sounds like you did pretty well, just had no luck getting an open shot. Try again, but maybe use a little stuffed animal as a decoy.

Comment

Primos makes a pretty good one called "The Critter" give it a try. Good Luck and Good Hunting !!!

Comment

they actually do make rodent decoys. there is one that hangs on a post, it's a little mouse looking thing.

Comment

You must be doing a lot right to get one up. Don't know if this applies to you but I have found that you can't blow the call again once they are visible. They seem to remember exactly where the call came from even though they were a mile away when you blew the call. If you don't scare them, they will keep working there way in to where the call originated. If you blow again, they will follow it to your lips and you won't get them any closer. You might be able to get them closer with a mouse squeek but I prefer to be QUIET. You can foll foxes and bobcats this way but coyotes can be smart. Also, you can't move a muscle while they are in sight. I also climb trees where I can to get my scent up off the ground. They can pick up your scent about 100 yds away if downwind.

Comment

You did well to call one into sight and have him hang around for 10 min. Unfortunate that he didn't offer a shot. There is a critter decoy that has a battery motor that makes it flop around, might work. Gives the 'yote something to focus on, taking his eyes off you. As stated above, being still and scent control are important as is full camo. Also have heard that barking and yipping calls (coyote) work too, never tried them though.

Comment

you should try a few different calls to see if that works and if not try that with some decoys

Comment

When you set up you should try to get the High ground. Also, If you go with 2 people and have the caller set up below the shooter. I have used both those to get better chances of a clean shot. Don't loose heart though. You are hunting a predator so you'll have to be a better predator.

Comment

Agreed with Jeepdude1987 answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                    by franchi20
                    I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors to the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of...
                    Today, 07:40 PM
                  • Debate #2: new rules
                    by FirstBubba
                    New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                    The "Biden Campaign"!...
                    10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                  • Reply to What's after Trump?
                    by franchi20
                    Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                    Today, 07:34 PM
                  • What's after Trump?
                    by FirstBubba
                    No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                    There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                    Today, 01:46 PM
                  • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                    by fitch270
                    The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                    Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X