Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At our camp in Tx we feed 16% protein after the season. I have heard that the buck mortality rate is very high at that time . Du

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At our camp in Tx we feed 16% protein after the season. I have heard that the buck mortality rate is very high at that time . Du

At our camp in Tx we feed 16% protein after the season. I have heard that the buck mortality rate is very high at that time . Due to the wounds and depletion of food intake from the rut. Plus I think we all hope that it may help/improve antler development and growth. Here is my question..? It is spring time now should we continue to feed a protein if so what percent? Oh and we cant do food plots because there is cattle turned loose after the season. Thanks for any valuable input.

Sixteen percent is the rate, but the variety of forage is really the key. Plant some soybeans or apple trees, or some good oaks if you don't have longterm forage. Don't be concerned about the vastness of your crop, but more of the variance. You won't get bucks moving on soybeans, but you will on corn, so try to plan your crop so that they can eat what they want to eat.

Comment

If those are free ranging deer I think I'd let mother nature feed them until fall then I'd start again. The reason I say that is there is a very high probability those deer will move on to someone else's property.

Comment

it'd be safe to just maybe put out a mineral block here and there but otherwise they should stay in the area if they're is also natural food around. also the mineral blocks do help with antler growth too.

Comment

Hey Dr. Mike i love to deer hunt too, but if i was a doc i would be saving up my money instead of spending it on protein and be going to Africa, Canada, Alaska! Also if you would like some company i am willing to cook skin and clean! Just my thought!

Comment

http://www.whitetaildomains.com/

check out this website and you can email or blog with Macy Ledbetter, a wildlife biologist who manages several hundred thousand acres across many ranches in Texas. also be sure to check out the video titled Wake Me Up (live deer capture) - VERY COOL!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad