Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dad wants to get me a new gun or bow. Im 14 and he wanted me to get a bow but I dont want to end up growing out of it. So I a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad wants to get me a new gun or bow. Im 14 and he wanted me to get a bow but I dont want to end up growing out of it. So I a

My dad wants to get me a new gun or bow. Im 14 and he wanted me to get a bow but I dont want to end up growing out of it. So I already have a .243 youth single shot and a nice .22. So would you rather get a 25-06 for a new deer gun or a .17 for a new varmit gun? plz let me know on where you stand.

If I had the choice of the guns you mention I would take the 25-06. But why not the bow? You are pretty well covered for big game and varmints with the guns you already have. A bow is nice because you can shoot it a lot more places than a gun. You could get a decent recurve that would still be good for bowfishing etc. as you get stronger. There are a couple of bows that will grow with you if you can handle a 40 lb draw to start (Some start even lower). Check 'em out before you make a final decision.
    No matter what you decide it doesn't sound like you have any bad choices. Good position to be in!

Comment

yikes. in my opinion, a .22 and a .243 are the best guns a person could own, and you already have them. i don't think i would go with a .25-06 because you already own a 243 and they're very similar rifles. if you were 18 years old and had this decision to make, i would for sure go with a larger caliber. such as 308, 30-06, 300 win mag, etc. but of course right now, you probably don't want to be getting into that stuff because in my opinion, the recoil could scare a kid. and everytime you shoot it, you'll flinch because you anticipate the recoil. and it WILL follow over to when you shoot your 243. but it's your choice. I say, don't get a new rifle. Go for the bow. but make sure it has a draw weight of about a minimum of 40-50, and a max of somewhere up in the 60-75 pound range. that bow would last you a long time.

Comment

Mathews Bows makes a good one that grows with you, so you might want to look into this option. Cause' your pretty well covered for rlfles, how about a shotgun ?
        You'd be able to hunt deer,turkeys,and other birds too.
        If you decide to go this route I'd go with a 20ga. with 3in.cap. Good luck in your decision.

Comment

i'd go with a bow mathews and bowtech are great bows but there kinda pricy new so you might want to go used depending on your wallet size

Comment

Forget the .17 you've got a .22 and forget the .25-06 you've got a .243. You will outgrow the bow, so I would recommend a gun that will last into your adult years, and into your posterity's adult years for that matter.... a Remington model 700 BDL in .30-06.

Comment

the daimond black ice will last you. you shouldn't out grow it ever from what they say try that.

Comment

i am the same age as you hunterkid, and i would personally go with the bow for now. I have one that my brother got when we were younger and two that i found at my grandma's house. They aren't hard for my to pull back, but still work for taking care of yard pests and to shoot for target practice, but that is my opinion.

Comment

I bought a .17HMR and it is my go to gun for anything coyote size and down. It shoots 3 shot groups touching at 50 yards. It is one of my favorite guns I own. But if you live in a centerfire rifle zone I would go with a .17 Remington Fireball.

Comment

Mathews has a website you can go to and find your nearest dealer. They can give you professional advice and also measure your draw length. You will get more pleasure from the bow simple because you can shoot it a lot more places and ammo is cheap. A dozen quality arrows will last a long time if you take care of them. Also there is no recoil with a bow.

Comment

All good choices depending on what you lust for. Here would be my thoughts:
                      The 25-06 is an all around man's rifle and you are old enough to start with it. Although is looks like a .243 on paper, there is no comparison and once you shoot it, you won't ever pick up your youth .243 again... plus your .243 is a single shot... you need a repeater for a lifetime of serious big game hunting and even for varmint hunting.
                      As for the bow, I wouldn't spend big bucks on equipment until I hunted a few years and settled in on what I needed. I would get one at a garage sale or pawn shop, practice and get out in the field. What you learn bow hunting will make you a better sportman and a better hunter. As far as the .17HMR, fun but you might instead consider the .204... it is a man's rifle too and very few rifles will give you the sense of speed that it does and it is actually big enough to hunt varmints with out to a few hundred yards. Once you see things blowing up in your scope at 4,100 fps, you won't be happy with a .17 any longer.

Comment

thanks guys! I think ill probly look into the bow first. a couple of you metioned a shotgun but i forgot to metion i have a 870 wingmaster and a browning side by side.

Comment

Get the bow. Later add a .300 or .338 mag if you feel the need and your bases will be covered as far as need in North America. Then the want phase will kick in causing you to get more guns as time goes by. You're off to a good start.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Do They
                              by FirstBubba
                              I've got probably 40 on my list and had 400+ posts this morning and still lots of "spam" threads.

They change their "handle"...
                              Today, 01:23 PM
                            • How Do They
                              by jhjimbo
                              How do the spammers enter spam so fast - today, at 3AM they entered every minute of the SAME thing. I tried to counter this AM and the site would not...
                              Today, 09:31 AM
                            • 2020 A good year for dying.
                              by rock rat

This graph shows all deaths from respiratory deaths by month. 400,000 more than normal all told. "external deaths" also up. External...
                              Today, 01:23 PM
                            • Reply to Presidential Debate
                              by crm3006
                              Just a heads up, bandicoot. creepy joe's handlers are well capable of canceling the debate on the day it is scheduled. Nothing is too lowlife for dem...
                              Today, 01:10 PM
                            • Presidential Debate
                              by jhjimbo
                              Mark your calendar, Tuesday, 29th from The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio. Sleepy Joe and Donald Trump. Get your popcorn ready for the show.
                              09-24-2020, 08:40 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X