Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the "best" grain round for whitetails in a 30-06? I have always used Remington 180 grain and have noticed it is very he

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Deer are pretty easy to kill with a 30-06 regardless of the specific bullet as long at it is a good hit. A good modern 130-150g bullet is plenty. I usually use 150g Hornady Interbonds or SSTs. I like having as much velocity as possible to minimize lead on running deer. I do use 170g round nose bullets if I am forced to stomp through very thick brush where shots are likely to be under 50 yards and the bullet is likely to have to break through brush. I don't really know if it helps or just makes me feel better but it seems to work.

Leave a comment:

• RES1956
    replied
    In the past, factory 180's had too thick of a jacket to open reliably on 150 pound deer. The sports would come in and ask for 220's cause them 180's were not gettin it done, deer runnin off and hardly any bloodtrail. They thought I flipped or was crazy or whatever when I told them to go to a 150 grainer, but they started killing (and recovering) deer.
    If there has ever been a more perfect bullet than the 150 grain Hornady spite point for Alabama whitetails, I have yet to see it (in .30 cal). In a .30/06, I would not be opposed to a 165, if we are talking less than 250 pound whitetails.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I would suppose that your 30-06 would be similar to my 300WSM for deer and I like to use 165 grain bullets usually Hornady Interlocks.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Use what shoots well in your Rifle, I preferr the Hornady 150gr/InterBond/LM or 150gr/GMX its only a deer,not a RINO!

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    I preferred the 165 grain, in part because the 162 gr, HPBT Match performed so well in my .30-'06 on targets. I used much the same load with my 165s.

Leave a comment:

• BigBboy25
    replied
    What is considered a long shot? and there is nothing wrong with a 180. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    180's are overkill for deer unless that's what your gun prefers. I like 150's(fast) or 165's

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    180's are overkill for deer unless that's what your gun prefers. I like 150's(fast) or 165's

Leave a comment:

• wp
    replied
    I primarily use 150s in my 30-06 for deer, mostly because my gun seems to prefer them. I typically handload using premium bullets, but Remington coreloct, and Winchester powerpoints have also worked for me in the past.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    In Missouri range is close so I use 165.

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    150-165 is where i would want to be for whitetails out of a 30-06

Leave a comment:

• jeffo52284
    replied
    not to disagree with walt but a 165 grain will fly farther and pack a punch further. compare the two on jbmballistics.com

Leave a comment:

• Walt Smith
    replied
    Stick with the 180!

Leave a comment:

• What is the "best" grain round for whitetails in a 30-06? I have always used Remington 180 grain and have noticed it is very he

What is the "best" grain round for whitetails in a 30-06? I have always used Remington 180 grain and have noticed it is very heavy at distance. I am looking for a mid to long range round that will slam a white tail.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad