Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any tips as to telling yearlings apart from bigger does? becuse when there alone there realy isn't anything to compare them to s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any tips as to telling yearlings apart from bigger does? becuse when there alone there realy isn't anything to compare them to s

any tips as to telling yearlings apart from bigger does? becuse when there alone there realy isn't anything to compare them to seems like all deer look huge

The longer the nose the better. The stub noses are the yearlings. But the more you hunt the more you can tell them apart.

Comment

Check out the head/snout/face. Young deer have a more rounded, snubby face. Older deer have a longer, thinner, more angular face.

Comment

Shane and love are both right also body size counts, the bigger the body it's probably and old doe.

Comment

Ears, older does have long big ears and their legs are much longer than a yearling.

Comment

Beer can size head yearling, beer bottle size head not.

Comment

In addition to looking at the head, the hind legs of a yearling will usually be longer than the front legs.

Comment

I shot 2 yearlngs at 205 yd last fall thinking they were doe's. What I look for is big doe small doe. Anyway the yearling is best eating.

Comment

i agree with you Del for an older gentleman that i know who loves the tenderness of the younger deer.

Comment

Look at the nose. The longer the better. If it appears stubby don't shoot but then again, the young ones taste the best.

Comment

I look at the head and ears. THe bigger the older.

Comment

You're making fun of the doe I shot last fall, aren't you?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad