Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone scrape hunt for bucks? If so, do you return to the same scrapes yearly? How important do you think scrapes are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone scrape hunt for bucks? If so, do you return to the same scrapes yearly? How important do you think scrapes are?

Does anyone scrape hunt for bucks? If so, do you return to the same scrapes yearly? How important do you think scrapes are?

In my area bucks do most of their scrape work at night and as a prelude to the rut. Also in my area of the southeast there are so many deer that you might have 3-4 bucks using the same scrape or scrape line. What looks like a monster opening a strip mine may very well be 2-3 over enthused 1.5 year olds trying to cover the scent of the other ones.

Scrapes are good sign that you have activity in an area, BUT once the rut is on I have found scraping activity decreases or stops. I prefer to hunt where the does are during the rut. If I am seeing does then I know I will probably see bucks, not just a hole in the ground.

Comment

Scrapes are an extremely important sign in hunting mature bucks. They can tell you the size, social status and give a good idea of the body size. The type of habitat a scrape is in can tell you when it gets used. Bucks will use scrapes in heavy cover during daylight. Understading scrape and rub lines and following them to bedding areas can be on of the most successful ways to bag a mature buck.

Once the breeding phase of the rut is on scraping does decrease. The Scraping phase of the rut itself peaks 2-3 weeks before the primary breeding phase and will start up again before the late breeding phase.

Traditional scrapes are used year after year. I find them in staging areas and doe use areas.

Comment

I agree with Smitty and most of my hunting is in Kansas and Missouri. Look for the buck to leave a track in his fresh scrape. That track will give you an idea of his size. If you do decide to set up near a scrape place your stand downwind. For the Missouri firearms opener scrape hunting is worthless on public land. That is the time to hunt escape trails and cover.

Comment

It is hard to hunt scrapes unless you know that they are very fresh and you have the time to check them frequently.

Comment

Scrapes are created and maintained by dominant bucks and likely communicate information to other deer such as dominance status or reproductive condition.

Comment

Scrapes are created and maintained by dominant bucks and likely communicate information to other deer such as dominance status or reproductive condition.

Comment

Comment

You should hunt fresh scrapes only.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad