No announcement yet.

which is better for deer hunting .243, .25-60, .270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, actually I have parted with three in the past five or so years. I sold a minty 722 to a guy who collects 721 nd 722 Remingtons, a LNIB Savage 110 composite (a rare model that I did not know was rare) to my pastor, and a LNIB Winchester M-70 to one of Beekeeper's friends last year. All were shooters, but the 722 had a worn extractor and would not extract on occasion.

My current one is a Ruger M-77 tang safety made in the 200th year of American Liberty, so I think I will keep it!

Comment

All three are great guns for deer but I would choose the .270.

Comment

25-06 or 30-06.

Comment

givin the choice I would go with the .270, but all three will definitely kill deer!

Comment

Clay, you are dead right that the 25-06 is great on antelope. Although the question was about deer, the versatility of the 25-06 for the game I hunt makes it one of my favorite cartridges.

With 75g bullets at 3750 fps I find it is easier to shoot prairie dogs at longer ranges than a 22-250 or a .220 Swift. The 25-06 is comfortable at 600 yards in ANY kind of wind.

With 87g bullets at 3600 fps, it smacks coyotes and foxes out to 500 yards. It is hard to beat on running coyotes... very similar to the fast .22s... the bullet hits about and inch behind the cross hairs at 200 yards on the fastest coyote. It has much more punch than the fast .22s beyond 300 yards.

The 100g bullets at 3350 fps smack antelope and deer dead in their tracks out to 500 yards (similar to .270 but it actually seems to flatten deer instantly more often). I have experienced nothing but full penetration on dozens of deer except for an end-to-end shot on a big buck at 250 yards (bullet broke pelvis, six ribs, blew up heart and stuck in hide on brisket).

I haven't found much use for the big 115-120g bullets at 3150 fps yet except for 1000 yard targets and p-dogs but I doubt that any elk within 250 yards would stop one. They certainly do a job on deer but seem to be way more than necessary and they actually produce almost as much recoil as a 130g .270 so I don't mess with them much.

Comment

Here in NE any of the three will do for deer hunting, but please, go to the range and do lots of shooting year around. The wanta-be hunter who only shoots his rifle once a year usually does our fine sport of hunting a terrible injustice by crippling a lot of game and never following up on it. Be a good hunter and respect our game animals.

Comment

the .270 always good

Comment

I have used a .243 and a .270 on deer. All the deer died right there but if I had to buy one just for deer hunting I would get the 25/06. More juice than a .243 and less recoil than the .270. If you want to hunt coyotes too then go .243 and if elk are a possiblility then go .270. The deer aren't going to care much as long as you shoot straight.
                  ps I generally agree with FirstBubba on the bullet weight issue unless you are going to use the Barnes TSX in 85gr.
                  Enjoy whatever you get!

Comment

Couldn't say. So far, I've only used a Remington 700 chambered for .308. The gun is very accurate and will kill deer...but may be a little over-powered for whitetail. My father uses .243 and has killed deer accurately at 100-120 yards.

Comment

270 win bolt action

Comment

I personally love a .243 I generally use it for white-tail. Being from South Texas our deer ain't as big as the deers in Montana or anyother northern states. But I have been know to use a .270 on New Mexico's Elk they drop quick and easy with very little or none of a struggle. Quick clean kill!! Now I am trying to get into modern tactical hunting rifes. And I havn't tried my new Windham Weaponry SRC .308 Semiautomatic Rifle I am have trouble finding a good scope for it any suggestions?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad