Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is better for deer hunting .243, .25-60, .270

which is better for deer hunting .243, .25-60, .270

I use a .270 for mullies in Colorado. Its a fast flat shooting round, that can reach out there if needed. I guess it would really depend on the terain and conditions you hunt. Here there is a good chance of a shot over 200 yards, plus elk season is the same time so it doubles up as a great elk gun too.

Comment

I hunt the south east of our country and any of the three would do just fine for deer hunting although if I had to choose I would also say .270

Comment

Where have we heard this question before? 25-06

Comment

The 243 is a fine cartridge, but the 25-06 I would have to say is a better choice.

Comment

25-06... very low recoil like the .243 but hits like a .270. Flattens deer beyond all reason. They seldom take a step after impact. One of the best long range varmint rifles available. I like to shoot a lot before season. The .270 makes my shoulder sore at 15-20 rounds. I can shoot hunndreds of 25-06s with no soreness. The .243 is a sweet rifle for inside 250 yards but gets wimpy beyond that range. Thats plenty for 95% of deer but the 25-06 and .270 smack deer dead out to 500 yards if you are shooting plains muleys or beanfield whitetails.

Inside of 200 yards a deer would be hard pressed to determine which of these they were hit with.

Comment

What everybody else said, with this aside.
              If you choose to go with the .243 Win, use nothing lighter than 100 grain bullets.

Bubba

Comment

All three are very well suited for deer.

Comment

I use all three, depends on which one I feel like taking out, for longer shots though I will use the 25-06 or the 270. The 243 I have is a leveraction with iron sites that I only use for 300 yard shots or closer.

Comment

DakotaMan

You forgot the 25-06 is hell on Speed Goats!

3 rifles to own, 22-250, 25-06 and the 30-06. If you need a bigger rifle, then the 338 Win Mag is my next choice. I've owned a 300 Win Mag and able to shoot it all day, but that sweet speed pill out of the 25-06 sure became my #1 go to on Mule Deer. I sold the powder hog 300 Win Mag, I just couldn't see having the two and one fella believed if he owned my 300, he would shoot like me. Latter he found out different and why I went to the 25-06. Could say, come with age comes wisdom!

Comment

I have fired all three, like the 270, but if I am gonna be in Bear Country prefer a 30/06

Comment

Moishe DITTO's and may I tweak that just a little if I may Sir.

It actually boils down to the geographical location you hunt. Perhaps rattlesnakes and illegal aliens trafficking drugs, money, people and hijacking those who do it may be in your area of hunt. Then you might be in an area where bears etc may have you on the menu. In either case, be prepared with the right cartridge and firearm used.

I'm afraid to say for the first time in my life, what I've known and warned in the past has come to be!

Comment

The one you can most relialbly place the bullet into the vitals of the game you pursue is the one I would use.

Comment

I don't use either of the three, but my top pick for deer only would be the .25-06 Rem. I have a .257 Roberts which is between the .243 Win and the .25-06 Rem, but I don't use it much due to the fact that almost everywhere that I hunt is also home to big bears and large kitties. I feel like I am able to shoot all my scoped rifles equally well since the setups are almost identical, so I pick my rifle du jour based on the largest varmint I might encounter and the ranges I expect to have to shoot.

Comment

WAM i don't suppose you'd like to part w/ the .257 bob?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad