Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things being equal, .270 with 130 gr Rem Core Bonds and lethal shots to the vitals, why is it that deer seem to be able to r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with MLH answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• silsbyj
    replied
    I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of adrenaline, or whatever animals have that compares, that gets dumped into their system when they are shot. The bigger the game, the less of an impact it has on the body so the system doesnt go into survival mode. Just my opinion. Great question.

Leave a comment:

• jbird
    replied
    I agree. I think Winchester makes the best "bargain" bullet. And yes, sometimes deer are freaks of nature. I could tell tons of stories supporting this, but I won't bore you, lets just say I shot a buck w/a 30.06 @ 75yds, he ran for over 100 yards. When I found him, he had no heart! It was totally destroyed, in little pieces. Running the length of a football field, through timber, w/ an exploded heart! freak of nature

Leave a comment:

• idduckhntr
    replied
    The worst thing you could do is shoot core locked bullets it is the most unreliable bullet made. if you need a good cheap bullet go with federal or win

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    This is a mystery I have contemplated and had to deal with before. One time I made 2 heart/lung shots on a buck with a 12 gauge. I literally had to run him down and make a 3rd neck shot (the usual placement apparently wasn't what this deer wanted) to end it for good. What's with that? Could you imagine getting blasted with a .729 caliber chunk of lead twice at 35 then 40 yards and then going for a jog? Hell no. Deer are freaks sometimes.

This is why I push for larger calibers for deer. I know some of y'all have done fine with .22-250s, but after making perfect shots with a 12 gauge at short range and failing, my drive to "use enough gun" is a little high these days. I'm paranoid, even. I've never had any deer get smart with me when the .308, .300 Savage, or .30-06 went off!

Leave a comment:

• rezavoirdog
    replied
    Hmmm, I think I'll have buy some Accubonds and BearClaws and do some test shooting. Hopefully, there won't be any Big Buck stories this winter, just European Mounts on the wall to talk about.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    Clay you are right all the shots were double lung with no direct heart contact. That is the shot I usually take and it has never failed me. As far as penetration and weight retention go I have always had adequate performance from the CoreLokts. Of the bullets I have recovered the one which retained the least weight was a whitetail doe shot at 30 ft. I only found the empty jacket in the far shoulder with a tiny bit of lead. The one which laid out a bull elk at approx 500 yds (totally an estimate from bullet drop so needs a huge grain of salt) penetrated all the way breaking three ribs on each side and lodging in the off front quarter had a classic mushroom shape with no jacket separation. Both were double lung shots, the elk went 20 feet and flopped, the deer made it almost 60 yds. Maybe deer are just wired tighter.
    I have never recovered a Nosler Partition, complete pass through on all the deer I have shot. Never shot an elk with one.

Leave a comment:

• hunterkid94
    replied
    You try beening shot and run with the size of the headgear on an elk!!!

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    resavoidag,
    Not to be a know it all because by far I'm not, but actually your theory is just the reverse. Because of the elks tougher hide the soft point bullet will expand more thus limiting penetration. That is why hunting deer type game I only think soft point, for elk I think controlled expansion bullets such as partitions, bear claws or bondeds such as accubond or ultra bond.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    I just think whitetail are wound up tighter that any other critter. Elk seem to be built more for stamina.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    Sorry I meant PSP CoreLokts not Core Bonds. Should have looked in the gun cabinet to check.

Leave a comment:

• rezavoirdog
    replied
    I can attest to that statement, I shoot Remington 130 Grain Pointed-Soft Point CoreLokts. I've lost 2 big, I mean big Muley Bucks (1 at least 25" and the other pushing 26"-27") and 1 big Whitetail Buck on 3 separate occassions when shot broadside through the shoulders. They ran for miles! I couldn't find a speck of blood outside from where I first laid them out (which was not much to begin with anyway). I searched for each one at least 4-6 hours in heavy timber and felt so sick to my stomach, I thought about not hunting ever again. So, this fall, I'm switching to Accubonds or Trophy Bonded BearClaws (can't find those ANYWHERE now). I actually put down 1 5-point Bull Elk, when he was running away; I shout him behind the head and the bullet exited his left eye, wow!
    I think that the bullets don't expand as much in a deer as opposed to a bigger animel with thicker hide, such as an Elk.

Leave a comment:

• All things being equal, .270 with 130 gr Rem Core Bonds and lethal shots to the vitals, why is it that deer seem to be able to r

All things being equal, .270 with 130 gr Rem Core Bonds and lethal shots to the vitals, why is it that deer seem to be able to run much farther than elk? Most of the elk I have shot or seen shot went down on the spot or within 20 yds. Every deer except one went at least twice as far. What's the deal with that and have you had similar experiences?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Horse Race
    by Pmacc60
    You are for sure not a small business man , the Obama administration hurt small business and sent a tremendous amount of jobs overseas. Big business makes...
    Today, 09:19 PM
  • The Horse Race
    by rock rat
    There are lots of things making this a hard race to predict. Pollsters do their thing and mostly they show Biden up over where Clinton was at this time...
    Today, 09:43 AM
    by 99explorer
    The recession officially ended in June 2009, after economic stimulus checks went out to 55 million recipients in the prior month.
    The economy continued
    Today, 09:03 PM
    by Pmacc60
    Like you all know I live near Delaware and I work there everyday ! Maybe it’s because we all know Joe Biden it I don’t see the support. Remember he...
    Today, 08:48 PM
    by 99explorer
    "Fake news" is a cop out.
    I used it once myself to avoid doing research.
    Today, 08:42 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X