Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you shoot aa duck on water with a youth compuond should you use a broad head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Go ahead and do it!!!

Leave a comment:

• CavRecon
    replied
    Be my guest if your state regs allow it.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    How is shooting a duck on the water unethical? I mean when people shoot them out of the air with a shotgun it is very unethical. You are way more likely to cripple or wound a duck if you shoot it from the air than if you take a stationary head-shot on the ground or water with a 22. I say if it is legal than you should deffinately go for it.

Leave a comment:

• hunt_fish_sleep
    replied
    can anyone around here spell legal?

Leave a comment:

• Quackhead6
    replied
    I say if it is legal go for it and have fun but you should check all local and federal regulations before doing so.If legal I would look into getting a recurve or a longbow and using flu flu arrows with either Judo points,small game points, blunt tips,and the even make a bird hunting point that has wires around it it sort of trap the wings. With either one of these set ups and the flu-flu arrows you will be able to shoot ducks,geese and almost any upland bird out of the air and not on the water. In most case except for shooting cripples shot out of the air it is ILLEGAL! to shoot any waterfowl not in the air.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Some arrows float. Shoot light field tips; not broad heads so they don't sink. Like haresear, I shoot fish with them so I can get to longer shots than with the heavy fiberglass harpoon arrows. If I miss, the arrow floats up. If you hit the duck, it floats too. Just make sure it is legal... there is no doubt about it being sporting... I haven't seen too many northern mallards that you could draw in... they are pretty cagey!

Leave a comment:

• MB915
    replied
    So if it is unethical to shoot a duck/goose on the water with an bow or gun, why is it ethical to then shoot a turkey when it is standing on the ground with a bow or gun.

Shouldnt you call the turkey into range then flush him and shoot him out of the air?

How is there any difference, please enlighten me.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    Arrows float. I would try judo points but you may have a problem with penetration if your arrow is not moving fast enough. Otherwise use any fixed blade broadhead you have. It sounds like fun.

I will add, one good shot on a duck out of the air and you'll never shoot at one in the water again.

Leave a comment:

• willkillsdeer
    replied
    if its leagel try a bow fishing setup but i don't really think thats very ethical to shoot them on the water and you would have a lot better luck with a shotgun

Leave a comment:

• idduckhntr
    replied
    Del with all do respect I shot some ducks last winter out of the canal by house,I used judo points also shot a pheasnt last season to I agree I would rather use a shot gun but these birds were in the ify zone wetherer or not it was in city limits or not.hunt fish sleep its not your state that decides whether or not you can shoot them with a bow it is feds and yes it is leagle.

Leave a comment:

• haresear
    replied
    Arrows actually float rather well, solid wood ones float and so do hollow aluminum arrows. I’ve shot fish with them both, you just have to go chase ‘em. As far as ethics go, I’ll lay odds that a good duck hunter with a gun will come home with more birds shot from the sky than the archer who bow shoots them off the water. Who’s to say it’s not a hell of a challenge unless you have given it a try. In New England they shoot northern pike in shallow water with center fire rifles; it’s legal and sounds like fun to me. Just because it’s different from what you know or grew up with does not mean it has to be bad. Hey, we’re all in this together, hunting, fishing, shooting, etc, different disciplines for different folks. If it’s legal why not give it a try before you dismiss it as foolhardy or unsportsmanlike. If its not your cup of tea, that’s cool, but why take a duck dinner off another guys plate, it may be twice as hard to get them with a bow than with the shotgun and you just might come home to a bag of burgers instead of fricassee if you gave it a try.

Leave a comment:

• Taylor3535
    replied
    If the bird is floating in the water, This is soooo.... unethical.

Leave a comment:

• MB915
    replied
    Its also legal in Kansas, and North Dakota.

Before people just assume something is illegal, they should do a little more research.

So hfedder40, if this is something you truly want to persue, i would check your state regulations, see if it is legal, then give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• MB915
    replied
    So i just did some quick checking, it is legal in the state of Maryland. Vertical bows (compound, recurve, or straight limb) may be used to hunt nutria, woodchucks, and all game birds and game mammals, including migratory game birds, with the exception of beaver, long-tailed weasel, mink, muskrat, and river otter.

I know Tred Barta has hunted Geese(over land) with a Recurve Bow before, he was not succesful, but I know other states allow it as well.

As for doing it over the water, people are right, you would lose your arrows.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    The only ethical reason to shoot a duck on water is in the case of a cripple shot out of the air.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Treason or a traitor?
    by bowhunter75richard
    You know Jimbo, I could really start to dislike you if you continue to post quotes from that idiot bandicoot. He is a complete non-issue to the world...
    Today, 05:40 PM
  • Treason or a traitor?
    by FirstBubba
    Gen. Mark A. Milley, in the last days of the Trump administration, told his Chinese counterpart that he would call the Chinese ahead of time if Trump...
    09-14-2021, 03:51 PM
    by 99explorer
    Jimbo - I wasn't talking about the main course.
    I was talking about the afternoon snack.
    Today, 05:35 PM
    by jhjimbo
    It is Big Mac and Fries. At least get your History straight....
    Today, 05:27 PM
    by bowhunter75richard
    In regards to this Milley issue, I see that all dimwits are standing behind his call to his commie friends, and openly stated that his actions were in...
    Today, 05:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X