Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you shoot aa duck on water with a youth compuond should you use a broad head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you shoot aa duck on water with a youth compuond should you use a broad head

how do you shoot aa duck on water with a youth compuond should you use a broad head

You might want to check your state regulations and make sure that is even legal in the first place.

If it is legal, i would think you would approach it the same way people who hunt turkeys with their bows do so.

Comment

It wouldn't be legal and you would lose your arrows.

Comment

The answer is.... You don't

Comment

thier right

Comment

Your crazy

Comment

why dont you use a gun to kill it? lot easer.

Comment

The only ethical reason to shoot a duck on water is in the case of a cripple shot out of the air.

Comment

So i just did some quick checking, it is legal in the state of Maryland. Vertical bows (compound, recurve, or straight limb) may be used to hunt nutria, woodchucks, and all game birds and game mammals, including migratory game birds, with the exception of beaver, long-tailed weasel, mink, muskrat, and river otter.

I know Tred Barta has hunted Geese(over land) with a Recurve Bow before, he was not succesful, but I know other states allow it as well.

As for doing it over the water, people are right, you would lose your arrows.

Comment

Its also legal in Kansas, and North Dakota.

Before people just assume something is illegal, they should do a little more research.

So hfedder40, if this is something you truly want to persue, i would check your state regulations, see if it is legal, then give it a try.

Comment

If the bird is floating in the water, This is soooo.... unethical.

Comment

Arrows actually float rather well, solid wood ones float and so do hollow aluminum arrows. I’ve shot fish with them both, you just have to go chase ‘em. As far as ethics go, I’ll lay odds that a good duck hunter with a gun will come home with more birds shot from the sky than the archer who bow shoots them off the water. Who’s to say it’s not a hell of a challenge unless you have given it a try. In New England they shoot northern pike in shallow water with center fire rifles; it’s legal and sounds like fun to me. Just because it’s different from what you know or grew up with does not mean it has to be bad. Hey, we’re all in this together, hunting, fishing, shooting, etc, different disciplines for different folks. If it’s legal why not give it a try before you dismiss it as foolhardy or unsportsmanlike. If its not your cup of tea, that’s cool, but why take a duck dinner off another guys plate, it may be twice as hard to get them with a bow than with the shotgun and you just might come home to a bag of burgers instead of fricassee if you gave it a try.

Comment

Del with all do respect I shot some ducks last winter out of the canal by house,I used judo points also shot a pheasnt last season to I agree I would rather use a shot gun but these birds were in the ify zone wetherer or not it was in city limits or not.hunt fish sleep its not your state that decides whether or not you can shoot them with a bow it is feds and yes it is leagle.

Comment

if its leagel try a bow fishing setup but i don't really think thats very ethical to shoot them on the water and you would have a lot better luck with a shotgun

Comment

Arrows float. I would try judo points but you may have a problem with penetration if your arrow is not moving fast enough. Otherwise use any fixed blade broadhead you have. It sounds like fun.

I will add, one good shot on a duck out of the air and you'll never shoot at one in the water again.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad