Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Shot My Deer! I'm sure it has happened to a few of you. You have been scouting a certain buck all year. Capturing him on cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You snooze you lose.

Comment

Understandably it sucks when you get pics of a deer all year, or watch him grow into a nice buck then someone else gets "gets lucky" and shoots him opening day. Either on an adjacent land or friend or new member of a lease. But should you claim deer... no. By the way Dr.Mike nice comment about Shane... I dont think anyone here should be "bashing" on each other. It has happened to me before and i didnt appreciate it.

Comment

I've been on the harvesting end of this situation more than once. I am very good friends with another guy in my club and last year he had seen tracks and rubs from this big buck so he set up a trail cam. I saw the same big buck three different times while hunting from one specific tree. Once out of bow range, once chasing a doe after I had climbed down. Took a shot at him but shot right over his back. Once running full blast through the pines. On 11/23/08 my buddy and I were going to hunt. I always called him to wake him up when I was leaving my house so he'd have time to wake up get ready and be at the land at about the same time I got there. I told him the night before that he could hunt the area I'd seen the buck and I'd hunt somewhere else. Well this morning I over slept. When I called him he said he was going to stay in bed so I told him I was going to hunt that area. He was cool with it. I got in the stand at 8:00. At 9:50 a doe came out 75 yards below me, right where I'd seen the buck every time before. I turned was ready to take aim if he came out when I heard a twig snap behind me. He walked out 25 feet on the other side of me. I was able to get turned around and take him. My buddy was aggravated, mostly at himself for sleeping in. Hunting is a lot about luck. You have to have the skills to find trails, pick up on rubs, patterns, etc. but if you are not in the right place at the right time, no deer. This buck is the larger of the two mount pictures I posted.

Comment

You have to congratulate the person on a fine kill. It is not "your" buck unless you shoot him and put your tag on him. This is just another part of hunting.

Comment

agreed with Big C answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Dirty Thirty
              by Milldawg
              Nice looking rig and good shooting. Someday I may have some time to purse such activities at that level....
              Today, 10:42 AM
            • The Dirty Thirty
              by Ernie
              This is BCG 308 Winchester XP-100, using a Remington Take-Off 308 Winchester barrel chopped to 15.8" Holland's Radial Baffle Brake, Leupold Mark...
              Yesterday, 12:55 PM
            • Reply to Manage Recoil and Accuracy
              by Milldawg
              Agree the with the ar is the winner for fast shooting my completion rifle can run like scaled dog even with a rifle length gas system....
              Today, 10:41 AM
            • Manage Recoil and Accuracy
              by jhjimbo
              I agree with a lot in this article. My comment is, make a good first shot and the importance of a second shot declines.
              Leaning into the rifle...
              05-17-2022, 01:03 PM
            • Reply to Why Putin delayed invasion of Ukraine.
              by labrador12
              You dont seem to be able to make a cost benifit analysis. Does stopping a mass shooter end the scourge of mass shootings???? I think not. The mistake...
              Today, 09:58 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X