Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Shot My Deer! I'm sure it has happened to a few of you. You have been scouting a certain buck all year. Capturing him on cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Shot My Deer! I'm sure it has happened to a few of you. You have been scouting a certain buck all year. Capturing him on cam

You Shot My Deer! I'm sure it has happened to a few of you. You have been scouting a certain buck all year. Capturing him on camera. Spotting him at your feeder. Laying claim to a living creature. Then the next thing you know someone else in deer camp is wrapping there tag around his antlers. This exact event happened in my camp recently and I didn't like the way it was handled. So what would you do?

The closest I have ever been involved in a deal like this was years ago when a fellow hunter shot a good 4 x 4 whitetail. The deer dropped at about 150 yards but immediately regained it feet and ran through a small patch of timber. There was another shot almost immediately. My friend and I walked in the direction the deer had gone. At the place when the animal had originally fallen lay about half of an antler. We picked it up and walked through the same small stand of trees. On the other side we encountered another hunter tagging the buck with the base of the antler attached to his head. My friend gave the top piece he had shot off to the hunter along with the deer. We figured the other hunter killed the deer. I know this varies from your situation but nevertheless sometimes things just don't turn out like we would prefer.

Comment

You don't get to claim your deer, unless of course you shot it. I know it's frustrating, but life's tough. As w/any "deer camp", you have multiple hunters chasing the same deer in the same general area. It's all part of the game. I scouted my area all summer into fall. Had 2 good stands on the same ridge. A fellow hunter w/permission to hunt this land walked in, went straight past one stand, was on his way towards the next when he took a pot-shot at a MONSTER! He hit him, and tracked him for several hundred yards before losing the blood. He looked hard all the next day, but never found the deer. Yeah, it's aggrivating, but it's hunting.

Comment

Nothing you really can do, everyone has their heart set on the local legend, but only one person will end up shooting him. Unfortunately this competition for well known bucks is what leads to a lot of the poaching that goes on today.

Comment

You didn't like the way it was handled, a.k.a. you failed to take this buck and someone else succeeded, and you are jealous. No buck is your buck until you have cleanly killed it.

What would I do? Get better at hunting than the guy that shot "your" buck.

Comment

It's mother natures buck until YOU harvest it. You can't call "dibs", that's just the way it goes.

Comment

As soon as people start to claim ownership the trouble starts. I had a guy bust up one on my ground blinds just because I was hunting on property next to his. I had permission but twice when I checked my blind it was torn down and the second time it was broken. I just had to quit hunting there, it wasn't worth it. The deer belong to all the people until you harvest one.

Comment

Shane,sir I guess I should have just been blunt. Because I knew there would be a few people out there that would try and turn the question. So "aka" it was not me who wanted or even shot the buck. It was two other people at deer camp. The one that "claimed the deer" (yet failed to shoot it) was a very bad sport in my eyes. He was mad and is still holding a grudge. So, I just wanted to see if others had been in this situation and how it affected there camp! Maybe... You should spend less time in the woods and more time in Psych 101. You know so you can "get better at it".

Comment

It happened to me and it was 100% my fault. I had been watching a group of three massive 8 points all bow season and had even missed a shot at dark. I went to deer camp Friday and hunted all day Saturday and didn't see anything so Sunday morning I left before daylight to go see if I'd see my monsters. Well I went by my uncles house got him up and headed that direction and I went to change coveralls. Well turns out I was a little late. I got there about 10 minutes after daylight and got to help clean two of the big boys. That's right my uncle who would have been sleeping if it weren't for me shot TWO of the deer I had been watching for months! Was I jelous? You bet. What'd I do and say? I shook his had told him that he did a great job and pulled out my knife and got to cleaning. I get to see those big boys on his wall everytime I got to his house and I'm glad that they got the respect and mounts that they deserve and I'm proud of myself for handling it as good as I did. You should try to avoid all contention among fellow hunters especially family, but in the end I consider us all family of sorts due to our dedication to the outdoors and common interests.

Comment

Well no one owns a specific buck, just because they saw them first or scouted that buck all summer long does not mean they own that given buck are entitled to harvest it and everyone else must pass him up. All you can do is congratulate the other hunter and move on. I am not saying you might not be a little dissappointed with the outcome, but you did not own the buck, as much as you think you did, and the other hunter even if they got him by dumb luck still deserves to be congratulated.

Comment

to the victor go the spoils...man up, re-group and try for another buck...

Comment

There used to be an old 9 point buck that lived in the densest part of my property behind a large stock tank. I patterned this buck for two years and placed several permanent stands up in the area. Each season I saw the buck two or three times but never had a clear shot in the brush. last year I invited two of my best friends out to hunt with me. I put one up a tree on one side of the property, and the other over the most used trail leading out of the big boys thicket- which i had never ever seen this big deer use. My buddy shot him not 20 mins after I dropped him off. I had slightly mixed feelings of sorrow and envy about this- but mostly i was just happy for my friend!!!!!

Comment

I always figured that for every big boy I see there are two I don't, so there is no reason to lay claim on a deer, or any other animal for that matter. If someone shoots a deer you have been specifically hunting, so be it. Life is too short to get all bent out of shape over someone who shot a buck that you saw once, two months ago.

Comment

I let a young buck walk 2 years ago - had some interesting widely palmated 4-point antlers. Saw him again the next year and let him walk again. At the end of opening day of last rifle season I walked past a camp and got into a conversation with the guys. One had shot a very nice 8 point with palmated antlers. You guessed it. He had never seen that buck before. It had somehow evaded me during bow season. I told him the story and honestly congratulated him. No hard feelings. It was good to see that a good guy had taken that buck. Got to see the buck up close. Just the way it goes. He just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Comment

if you shot it i think that you should get to tag it. but if the other person is a dick i would just ask him if he shot it and when he said no i would say i did. it mite work or it might not hope you got it resolved with out any problems.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad