Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i can't locate the birds a round my house in east tennessee does anybody have a idea when in the morning to try again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i can't locate the birds a round my house in east tennessee does anybody have a idea when in the morning to try again

i can't locate the birds a round my house in east tennessee does anybody have a idea when in the morning to try again

try to locate the birds the night before, just before dusk, to find their roosting area. Then get back there in the a.m. the next morning, before light. When the birds come down from the roost, call them in. Putting the turkeys to bed is the best way to find them in the a.m.

Comment

steve182 is right, assuming your talking about turkeys. Learn to do a good Barred Owl impression, or buy a call to do it. It works well most of the time to get a recently roosted Tom to sound off. Also, be there EARLY in the morning, to listen carefully for gobbles.

Comment

Both of these guys are right about putting the birds to roost. That's how I do most of my scouting. And it works most of the time.

Comment

The above is good info. Keep in mind Turkeys (Easterns) like to roost in large trees and in my AO they usually are in a big deep draw that affords some shelter from the wind. They will walk up on high ground for take off so they can fly up at an angle that is not so steep as it would be on level ground.

Comment

if the turkeys are close what is the best locating call

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad