Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are everyones steps for staying warm on those late season days that are below zero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are everyones steps for staying warm on those late season days that are below zero?

What are everyones steps for staying warm on those late season days that are below zero?

Layers. Sometimes I wear 6 or 7 layers. Plus i wear a hat, good gloves and warm socks. If my hands, feet and head stay warm, i'm warm. If i get cold i try to trick myself into thinking it's warm by repaeating over and over " wow, it's really warm out here today"

Comment

Of course I dress in layers. However, what works best for me is under my outer layer I wear a waterproof jacket and pants, should be silent, and it keeps the wind out and the warmth in. If it gets too warm, you can always take it off. Also, when you hike from your vehicle to the stand, make sure to shed as much clothing as needed to keep yourself from sweating, once you sweat, it will be very hard to stay warm.

Comment

Layers and my Mr. Heater Buddy!!!!!

Comment

Layers, but a neck gaitor with a warming pad on the back of my neck is one of the best ways to stay warm.

Comment

Like everyone else, layers.
            Under Armor cold gear
            ScentLok Baselayers
            Polar fleece shirt and pants
            ScentLok shirt (Savanna)
            Windstopper Vest
            Sitka 90% jacket
            Fleece Blaze orange vest
            Feet: Polypro thin sock & Smartwool heavy sock under 1000gm Lacrosse rubber boots w/ Heatpaks
            Hands: Polypro thin glove, Fleece fingerless mitten glove combo, Heatpacks and hand muff
            Head: Super thick fleece balaclava or ScentLok balaclava, Blaze orange hat
            This is the full outfit for temps below zero. Less layers when walking or as temps permit or during late season archery when I just suck it up or hunt short stints.

Comment

Heh heh, forgot the insulated fleece pants and bibs. Didn't want folks to think I was running around in my skivvies.

Comment

A nice coat. Layers. And just sit there and tough it out.

Comment

I thought I had a really warm coat, but then I bought a warmer one that put the last one to shame. One really good coat makes a huge difference no matter what you're wearing it with.

Something that took me forever to learn is that layers are good, but there can definitely be too much. You want to have plenty of breathing room and air space between the layers. Other than the on the skin layer, nothing should be even close to tight, and even the skin layer shouldn't be very tight at all. Best example I can give is that my feet are warmer when I have just one pair of thick wool socks and maybe very thin liners on with some good boots. I used to wear 2 pairs of thick wool socks with my feet all snugged in there thinking more wool = more warm, but really the one pair with plenty of breathing room is actually warmer.

Comment

Wool over fleece over cotton.

Comment

layers of course and also alot of wool

Comment

Step #1: Never go to the woods hungry. Always eat something with fat and sugar. I like snickers bars before a really cold morning. Peanut butter also works well too. Fueling up before going out in the cold makes a world of difference.

Step #2: Listen to everybody else and layer up! Don't overdo it and sweat on the way to your stand or you will freeze later on. If i have a long walk, I'll carry my heavy outer coat and put it on in the stand.

Comment

dress warm and try to keep moving.

Comment

All good tips but stay away from anything cotton

Comment

Hadn't had below zero but it gets pretty cold in SC. What I do is dress in layers. I wear underarmour and insulated shirts. Each layer out use a heavier thickness. As the temp rises start taking off the layers. You don't want to sweat!! It also depends on what kind of hunting you do. I find if I am driving dogs you don't need as much clothes. Sitting still, carry your layers and put them on when you get to your stand. Other than that you just have to tough it out, and hope something gets started pretty quick. Adrenaline uses gets me warm!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad